Insulated or non-insulated boots

J1buck

FNG
Can't find a post relating to this. I'm looking into getting new boots and I'm stuck between insulated and non-insulated boots. I just don't want to end up buying 2 pairs. I know I can wear quality wool sock to keep warm. Any insight would be helpful.

cr_hod

FNG
Im sort of in the same boat. Im leaning towards uninsulated. If I can add sock layers etc. I can use the boots for backpacking in the summer and hunting in the winter.

Dry feet makes a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J1buck

J1buck

FNG
Both hot early season and cold in late season. My feet don't sweat very much.

manitou1

WKR
I use un-insulated and do fine, even though I am colder natured. I do carry Arctic Shield boot covers in my pack when really cold out and I plan on glassing a lot. Best of both worlds.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I have insulated boots and I am planning on switching to uninsulated once these are wore out. My feet sweat and still end up cold with the insulation.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Uninsulated, especially for summer use.

One thing to note, is you can't add a lot of wool sock insulation if the boots fit well without. There's only so much room in a good fitting boot.

I started using boot blankets years ago for deer hunting, and now I really don't worry about how much insulation is in my boots, I just choose the pair that will be the most comfortable for he walking I'm planning on doing that day. Get some hand warmers to add to the inside of the blankets, and I'm comfortable sitting in any weather.

mlgc20

WKR
IMO, it's a pretty easy decision. If I could only have one boot it would definitely be uninsulated.

Savage99

WKR
Uninsulated, especially for summer use.

One thing to note, is you can't add a lot of wool sock insulation if the boots fit well without. There's only so much room in a good fitting boot.

I started using boot blankets years ago for deer hunting, and now I really don't worry about how much insulation is in my boots, I just choose the pair that will be the most comfortable for he walking I'm planning on doing that day. Get some hand warmers to add to the inside of the blankets, and I'm comfortable sitting in any weather.

I picked up some boot blankets last year for ice fishing, but never pulled them out. I assume you guys are wearing them as intended over your boots?

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up some boot blankets last year for ice fishing, but never pulled them out. I assume you guys are wearing them as intended over your boots?

Yes, over my boots, but the style I have isn't really made for moving around, so they only really work for when I'm sitting still.

Boot blankets These are similar to what I have. Mine seem to be a little smaller, and compress down nicely in my pack.

For ice fishing I use insulated boots so I can still run for tip ups.

idig4au

WKR
It’s all about having the right tool for the right job. Unfortunately that sometimes means having more tools than you need at a given time. Boots are no different. I run uninsulated for early season and up to 1000 gr insulated or pacs for late season depending on conditions.

I’ve never been able to find a single pair of boots that work for all conditions. I would look at what conditions you spend the majority of the time in and find a boot that works best for that. Then get a more specialized boot for the more extreme conditions