Insulated or not ???

So I wanna spend some money on a good hiking/hunting boot.
My issue is do I get like a 200g insulated boot because I hunt oct, November but then sweat on summer hikes?

do I go non insulated and just get thicker Socks for the cooler days in oct November maybe with foot warmers in there?
What do you guys think

Where are you hunting/how old is it in Oct/Nov? FWIW, I've never used insulated hiking/backpacking boots. If it's cold enough I need insulation I usually move to my pac boots. That said I'm sure plenty of folks get good use out of insulated hiking boots. But if I was only going to have one quality pair of hiking boots they would be uninsulated.

OP
F
eastern NY , towards December could dip into low 20s. But I guess on the real cold days just use my artic pro muck boots. Oct / November. Cool mornings probably around mid 40s

maybe I’ll get a pair of those artic shield boot insulators and throw them in my back pack Incase

I'd say uninsulated sized where you can wear a quality wool sock you'd be fine. Guess the other thing I didn't ask is whether your moving or sitting.

I hunt NY and PA. I get away with uninsulated boots until December most years. I have a set of heavily insulated boots (kenetrek) but they don’t see a lot of use here in NY. Depending on how far you are walking, a set of insulated muck boots would be a good bet. Heck I have an idiot friend that stand hunts in insulated crocs.

I have Kenetreks with 400 g of insulation. My feet get cold when stationary and I was glad I had the insulation when the weather was in the 30's this past season. I hiked with them in the summer, 75+F and my feet surprisingly did not get very hot. If you are in the desert that's another story but moderately warm weather I think you should be okay with a little insulation to keep your covered for your late season hunts

OP
F
Yeah I think I am pretty set on the crispi Nevada’s.

I am just u decidedif I should get uninsulated or 200g

I don’t think the 200g will do much when it dips down.

my other idea was I insulated and get artic shield boot cover insulators and keep them in my pack Incase

my other idea was I insulated and get artic shield boot cover insulators and keep them in my pack Incase

Boot covers have done wonders for me in the deer stand hunting whitetail.

OP
F
yeah i am going to go uninsulated with boot covers

but now i wondering if the nevadas will be overkill for what i need and just go with the summits gtx instead.

or do you think the extra 100 for the nevads are worth it?

Uninsulated works the best for me. Use my Tibets all year round. Even use them calling coyotes in below zero temps. Anytime I am walking/hunting I wear them.

I feel that insulation can only do so much and if you want a all around boot you will have more issues in the summer with sweaty feet that can cause issues. A quality sock system will do wonders to keep your feet warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
200gram insulation is not very much. Doubt you'd notice much of a difference in the hotter temps. Just put on some FoxRiver liner socks and call it a day, when it's hot temps.

I run the uninsulated Nevadas. During 2nd elk season I run Darn Tough full cushion + extra full cushion, along with gaiters. Treat my boots before every season Stay dry and warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just having this conversation with my buddy. We are both gearing up for our first elk hunt next year. Here in central/southTexas bow hunting it’s my knee high LaCrosse un-insulated boots all year. Don’t think that’s gonna cut it for Colorado. Enjoying all the available information from everyone