insulated pads during warmer months...

davescarp

WKR
Are they usable? Do you sweat your face off? I've mostly used old school ridgerests and have a 3/4 length thermarest from about 15 years ago and never have noticed it uncomfortable in the summer backpacking, but not really sure how those compare to a more modern insulated pad. Looking at maybe an xtherm or something else that is insulted for hunting/winter camping but would still be interested in how it may work during the summer? Whatcha think?

JRMiller

WKR
I've used my big agnes insulated double z during warmer months but cant say i noticed or thought that i was hotter using it as opposed to something not insulated.
i have a klymit v non-insulated that i've used both summer and winter, cant say i noticed anything on that one either
probably subjective though

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I use my insulated Sea to Summit (comfort light plus, if I remember correctly) year-round without issue. There may have been a couple times in the summer where I thought it was a little on the warm side, but they've been few and far between.

• Banned
OP
davescarp

davescarp

WKR
Good to hear, was figuring on just buying an xtherm and using that year round more or less

CO-AJ

WKR
I plan to use my Exped Synmat UL-W year round. It has an R Value of 5. I can regulate the temp in the bag or quilt easier than carrying different pads.

GotDraw?

WKR
An insulated pad will not make you sweat in warmer months.

Think of it like sleeping on a mattress in the summer in your house. A sleeping pad does NOT generate heat, it just keeps the ground from sucking heat from your body.

JL

I've got an Exped Down Mat. I think the R value is a 7! It works really well with my 30 degree quilt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR
Same pad all 4 seasons for me. I just switch to a quilt if it's warmer than 45 at night.

wrjam3

FNG
I have an insulated Nemo Tensor that I use in the summer with just a liner or quilt. I don't feel like it does much in the way of magnifying heat. I've used it when it's been 95 degrees and can't say the pad made it any more uncomfortable. But it does help when it's cold. I have the long/wide version - ultra light and pretty durable; especially considering the weight and packed size. Very happy with it.

I use my Xtherm year round.
I have been a bit warm "camping" at a race track and it only dropped to 85° at night.
Otherwise it's the perfect pad.

OP
davescarp

davescarp

WKR
I use my Xtherm year round.
I have been a bit warm "camping" at a race track and it only dropped to 85° at night.
Otherwise it's the perfect pad.
Sounds miserable, sleeping at 85 would kill my soul.