Insulated vs Non-Insulated?

Looking at my first pair of Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa, etc...and I've noticed the difference between a lot of the insulated and non-insulated is no insulation vs 200 grams. To me, that doesn't seem like much of a difference at all - but it's obviously enough of a difference otherwise I would think they wouldn't make them that way.

I know no boot is a do-all, but as far as a "do as much as it can" boot, what do you guys suggest? Does the 200 gram insulation make enough of a difference that you'd say "the uninsulated are great, but man my feet sweat in the insulated ones"?

If its 70 degrees, are my feet going to be comfortable in non-insulated, but be too hot in insulated?

Do your feet ever get cold in uninsulated boots if you keep moving?

For a do all, one boot guy, most go uninsulated and just adjust sock thickness. If you are moving, it has to get pretty damn cold for you to regret not having insulation. And yes, a 200 gram insulated boot will sweat your feet out pretty good in even the mildest of temps if you are moving, but if you are a sock rotator (I am and recommend it) it’s not a deal breaker either. But I stand by uninsulated if you’re gonna run one boot for everything.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of uninsulated Idaho gtx's that I've had for just a few weeks now. Cant yet speak for them in the warmer months, but had no issues with my feet being cold while hiking in the snow with temps in the high 20s. Longest hike was about 2.5 hours in those temps with a normal weight merino socks. Wore them for a 5 hour treestand hunt on new year's day, high temp was 15 when I got out there and it fell to about 5 by dark. Just wearing the same merino socks (the kirtland ones that I think are what they sell at costco) and I was good for about 2 hours before I started to feel it. It was tolerable the other three, but had to do a lot of toe wiggling. Woulda been fine I think with heavier socks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used 800gm Thinsulate boots in the summer without issue. I used to use these same boots for archery elk hunting in Aug and Sep as well. No problems. But I also use non-insulated boots now too without any issues. So, as long as it's warm out it's not a big deal either way for me. But in the cold or deeper snow, my toes freeze even with insulated boots.

I certainly wouldn't want to be hauling Kenetrek 1000's around the mountains in September. But even their NI boots are heavy. Another thing, all those tall all-leather boots (i.e. 10" etc) make your feet hotter than a shorter boot as well. But my feet regulate temps and moisture better with a poly liner sock under merino.

rcdinaz

FNG
Another vote for non-insulated boots.

For the most part I wear non-insulated boots. My feet sweat easily and then they get cold when I stop moving. I just hunted in snow in CO at ~10K feet and wore liners and good socks and I was good to go with out insulated boots. I don's sit water or do much stand type hunting, if I did I would probably invest in a good pair of insulated boots as well or just live with foot warmers stuffed in the toe.

Alright I got about 600 bucks I really want to pull the trigger on the crispi Wild Rocks however I want to use them year round in north central Pennsylvania..... gradual slopes thick foliage forested mountains..... no matter what part of the year it is it’s always wet.... either frozen or sopping.... now the only thing holding me back is will they get way too hot for summertime? where temps are high 70s and muggy usually. Can anyone shed light to this? Also will use the wild rocks or not for coming west to hunt elk in Montana. Just curious on really how hot they get. I’m used to army boots not high end hunting expedition boots.

I started with 200g. Wasn't too cold, yet there was snow on the ground an while glassing my toes definitely got cold, yet I believed that little extra grams of warmth helped me during the 3 days of scouting. When the hunt started an hiking became a priority, my feet started sweating an it was the worst! Hunted the last 4 days and I couldn't get my boots to dry.... I was upset to say the lease... Now if it was going to be in the teens id slow down an have the insulation. My feet get cold.
This season Im going the non-insulated route, an playing the sock game.

Gunnar19

FNG
I’d go uninsulated for a mountain boot, but it all depends on what you are doing. Hiking in the mountains? Uninsulated. Sitting on a hill glassing mulies for hours, insulated. For me it’s uninsulated 80% of the time in the mountains, but insulated about 99% in the whitetail stand

prm

WKR
I regularly use Crispi Guide Insulated and Salomon 4D GTX which are not insulated. I like both, but I find my feet prefer the extra moisture movement of the non-insulated, synthetic boot. Dry feet are warmer than insulated damp feet. If standing around I’d give a slight edge to the Crispis though. For the tree stand, Salomon Toundras are toasty!

slowelk

WKR
My feet and hands run cold, I spent three Montana rifle seasons with uninsulated boots. I'm an active hunter and my feet were COLD. Those wore out, I thought I'd try 400g Kennies as my all-round boots this year. Early to mid September they were way too hot. Sweaty feet are not good. They really shined from end of September on through the end of rifle in November. I purchased another pair of Kennies, but uninsulated on cyber monday, those will by my early season boot, then come October I will switch to the 400s.