Insulated vs Uninsulated

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to Idaho in mid-September and would be interested in hearing thoughts on needing insulated boots or not?

Thanks!

LaHunter

WKR
I prefer non insulated boots. I typically hunt mid-late October and temps will normally be in the 20s or maybe in the teens (and sometimes single digits) for the lows, with varying depths of snow, and my feet have not been cold. I use the Lowa Tibets and the Lowa Ticam II all leather boots with Smart Wool light & mid wt hiking socks.

Jimss

WKR
Your feet will likely be sweating in insulated boots in Sept in Idaho! I work all winter in the Colorado without insulated boots. If you are concerned about cold feet buy boots around 1 size larger for new, thicker padded insoles plus the ability to wear a little thicker socks in the winter months.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I always run uninsulated, and adjust for conditions with socks and boot blankets for glassing/treestand etc.

joshn

FNG
I personally find insulated boots only useful for stationary hunting, like out of a treestand or groundblind. Pumping blood when treking through backcountry should keep your feet plenty warm if you're dry.

Mosby

WKR
I wear both in September, depending on expected temp and what I am doing. If I am sitting and glassing part of the day and its rainy, windy/chilly, or temps are below freezing in the morning, I like to have some insulation. In that case I normally wear Lowa's with 200 gr of thinsulate, which is a pretty versatile boot. I wear mine hunting into November.

If it is warm weather or I am moving most of the day, then I go with uninsulated. I normally take both in my truck, so I can switch out, as needed. I have have had boots blow out on me hunting or they get really wet, so I like to have a back up pair of boots in the truck, regardless.

Only thing i wear i sulated for is sitting still sub zero while ice fishing. Any boot for hunting i run non insulated and run a thicker sock for comd temp

ElkChapo

FNG
Echoing what these guys have said, i think you'll be more than comfortable in NI boots with a pair of good socks. I learned a while ago that you jamming the biggest socks you can find on your feet and into your boots is actually counterproductive. Find a good-fitting pair of NI boots and smartwool/Damn Tough socks that fit snug but dont cut off circulation. An overly tight boots/sock combo will cut off circulation and freeze your feet.