Insulated vs Uninsulated?

I know it's highly dependent on a bunch of different factors, but I'm curious of peoples thresholds for needing insulated boots. Assume typical spot and stalk western hunting. I've been using a pair of Scarpa Charmoz and I'm ok in them down to the teens as long as I'm moving, but if I have to sit more than about half an hour, my feet get cold.

Yes so many factors. Most of my
Hunting is done static, meaning tree stand or box blind. I usually run normal boots until the temps are below freezing and then switch to my insulated boots. My feet typically do not get cold for a while after being still for about an hour.
for my upcoming western hunt, I plan on taking uninsulated unless the weather for my hunt is like last years, below zero down to the -20’s....that’s cold even when walking.
I too am curious for more opinions on this and their threshold for switching

mlgc20

WKR
I pretty much only run uninsulated boots anymore. If moving, I can take them down below zero. If I’m sitting, I can usually go into single digits for a couple hours. Then I will start to get cold toes after a while.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
I pretty much only run uninsulated boots anymore. If moving, I can take them down below zero. If I’m sitting, I can usually go into single digits for a couple hours. Then I will start to get cold toes after a while.

What type of boot? I wonder if a full leather boot like a Zamberlan Wasatch or Crispi Guide would give me more warmth than the Scarpa Charmoz....

When you go to sit have you tried changing socks?

Are you hiking somewhere to glass then your feet get cold? If so it's the sweat in your feet getting you cold.

Yes your boots being very breathable might be a factor also. If moisture is not a issue then yes your boots are not retaining heat.

Have you experimented with different socks from a thickness standpoint?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
When you go to sit have you tried changing socks?

Are you hiking somewhere to glass then your feet get cold? If so it's the sweat in your feet getting you cold.

Yes your boots being very breathable might be a factor also. If moisture is not a issue then yes your boots are not retaining heat.

Have you experimented with different socks from a thickness standpoint?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Man, I'm a lazy sucker when it comes to taking my boots off, but yeah, I'm sure my feet sometimes get damp on the hike. I typically wear the heavier weight (full cushion?) Darn Toughs.

mlgc20

WKR
What type of boot? I wonder if a full leather boot like a Zamberlan Wasatch or Crispi Guide would give me more warmth than the Scarpa Charmoz....
Yes, I think that would help for sure. Either of the boots you mention would be an improvement from a temp management perspective over the Scarpa’s. The Charmoz is a great boot, just not built for cold weather. Personally, I run the Lowa Renagades. Very similar to the Crispi Guides. Just a couple inches shorter.

Also, one of the overlooked things in keeping your feet warm is making sure your core stays warm. Having plenty of insulation on your top upper half will help with circulation and Aid in keeping your feet warm.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is pretty much aligned with Skurka’s.

I’ll use Goretex when there is ice or snow on the ground and the temps are generally freezing or lower.

Edit to add: I realized you said insulation, not just waterproof, but my above comment pretty much applies to that also.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
Also, one of the overlooked things in keeping your feet warm is making sure your core stays warm. Having plenty of insulation on your top upper half will help with circulation and Aid in keeping your feet warm.

Man, this is so true, it took me years to learn this as a backcountry skier. I'm trying to teach my kid this but something in his genetics makes him learn the hard way.

keller

WKR
I wear 400g thinsulate /goretex all the time even at 80 degrees with good socks my feet sweat very little.

JMDavies

WKR
Uninsulated with self adhesive toe warmers in my pocket. I'll stick the toe warmers on if I get cold.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If you hunt a lot, having both kinds on hand is a good idea. If I were coming long way from out of state I'd bring both, even for an early hunt. Most years I use uninsulated clear into November, but the insulated are nice to have when it gets cold and snowy.