Insulation/ Puffy for Ak

bates

WKR
Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
That looks to be a great option, only thing I can add would be to pick the most wind resistant face fabric they offer.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite puffy so far has been my hooded Mtn Hardware Compressor. It has worn really well and been extremely warm for me. I needed to replace it since I've put several holes in it over the last five years.

Since Mtn Hardware quit making the Compressor, I bought a Rab Strata to replace it and I don't really like it. It isn't warm enough for my liking. Whatever jacket you wind up with, personally I'd shoot for 100 g of insulation and a hood.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I used to have to Arc'teryx and it was awesome for thin and light. If I want a puffy jacket for the mountains I'd rather have a slightly thicker one. I'll take the weight penalty to ensure I'm warm. Since you only wear the jacket while you aren't moving (glassing, sleeping, resting, etc) the thin insulation is not necessary IMHO. I now have the Kifaru Parka and the Sitka Kelvin Lite which are both much warmer.

Kimbersig

WKR
I have the Kuiu puffy and wanted a hood for up there but i also wanted synthetic insulation so i got the Kuiu Kenai insulation jacket. i used it on my sheep hunt last year since i was worried about wet weather and it did great. kept me nice and warm while glassing. its bulkier than down is the only downside.

I've used the Kuiu SD in the past, but needed more warmth and durability. Added the Kifaru Lost Parka and haven't looked back. It's not the lightest jacket, but packs down to about the size of a cantaloupe. I've used it both sheep hunting and on Kodiak and it's been bomber tough and reliable.

The Arcteryx Atom LT is a great jacket but is made to be an active layer that breathes well. It is not a good choice if you need protection from wind. The Atom AR would be a better choice for that use, it does not have the powerstretch sides, has more insulation, and I believe a heavier face fabric. The Nuclei AR would probably be even better if wind resistance is important - the fit might be a little more athletic too.

I think that apex jacket linked would be good option too, consider which face fabric you want- typically have to choose between being breathable or wind resistant.

I really like my Kelvin lite if I need a hood.
Otherwise if you can find C4E downtek (not sure on model) that is my favorite...very warm.
Seems like when I bought it I compared a bit and it had quality fill and a bunch of it.
The C4E jacket is NOT a durable jacket though...very thin material.

idig4au

WKR
I would suggest synthetic. I've used both Kuiu Kenai and Kifaru Lost Parka on various sheep hunts. Both have their place. The Kifaru is really warm, great for sitting in cold weather but is bulky. Kenai is great if you pair it up with your rain jacket as the wind cuts through it. That is no big deal as you'll have your hardshell with you anyway.

Another good one to consider is the Frontier Gear super cub jacket through Barney's Sports Chalet up in Anchorage.

Jimss

WKR
I've been leery of down puffy....they are obviously super light and less bulk but if wet from the rain or sweat...pretty much worthless. I haven't really looked into it but I imagine there are some puffies that have somewhat waterproof outer or waterproof down but I have no experience.

I've always found it important to layer. As an example I often bring a camo sitka base layer (sometimes that's all I wear), Cabelas heavier microtex shirt (wears like iron, dries quick, and super warm, next a thinsulate vest (dries fast and super wind resistant), neck gator, Sitka 90 or similar jacket with hood plus pitzips, and Sitka rain jacket with pitzips (great in rain and cuts wind). I add or subtract those layers depending upon the weather and how active I am. All those combined have worked fantastic for me.

Jimss

WKR
In regard to hoods...I have one on both my Sitka 90 and Sitka raingear. A baklava, neck gator, and/or camo stocking hat are nice. I can't see and hear as well when I have my hood up so these are are sometimes decent options.

Snyd

WKR
Hood is a personal preference. I like one. In any of the puffy coats the most important thing is you want it windPROOF, not wind resistant.

my .02

Daniel_M

WKR
I picked up the (was GoLite) down hooded jacket from MyTrailCo last fall, I've been wearing it religiously all over Alaska. Was perfect in Kodiak and will likely buy a second. Has far exceeded my durability outlook, and the price is pretty damn good.

My only complaint, is the draw string sewn into the waist, it doesn't seem to have very good retention so it loosens back up.

jherald

WKR
Sitka Kelvin Lite puffy with hood, but if you find one of the older version of Kelvin Lite with no hood it's a gem as well. FL Uncompahgre Puffy is another top line pick.

These are fairly lightweight but heavy enough to cut the chill and they have materials that really cut the wind as well.

The Arcteryx Atom Lt jacket is a great day hiking puffy but I wouldnt want to rely on it on a 10 day sheep hunt, even though I have in the past. It's just a little bit too light, and it's just not quite wind resistant enough. Plus the zipper never stays all the way zipped up to your chin, it constantly wants to migrate down.

For just a few ounces more the Sitka Kelvin Lite puffy with hood or the FL Uncompahgre puffy will make a literal world of difference.

Last edited: