Insurance GURU needed.. rental trailer

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Roksliders I need your help finding some rental insurance for a Rented enclosed trailer. We are planning on renting a 18’ enclosed trailer to bring to CO, but the rental company doesn’t offer any extra insurance other than what the “tow” vehicle offers. I have looked online, but cannot find anything for the general public. Anyone ever do this? Thanks.

Contact your insurance broker for specifics on what your auto policy covers (and doesn't cover), or read your policy. Also check the credit card used for renting the trailer, you may have some coverage there too.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
My auto insurance just covers the trailer while in tow. But no comprehensive.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Are you worried about the trailer itself or the contents? If contents, explain the situation to your ins company. They should be happy to change your coverage, schedule high dollar items (like firearms, which otherwise are paid out at a fraction of replacement cost).

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Are you worried about the trailer itself or the contents? If contents, explain the situation to your ins company. They should be happy to change your coverage, schedule high dollar items (like firearms, which otherwise are paid out at a fraction of replacement cost).
No, I am more worried about the trailer its self. I know weather in CO can be unpredictable, so just want to cover my bases for everything.

We ran into this this summer renting an aluminum car hauler to haul the side by sides out west, rental company offered no insurance and my dads state farm agent didn't want to cover it. I think finally after some finagling he got state farm to do a rider or something, but it was a hassle. I'm really becoming disappointed with insurance brokers these days, seemed like 10 years ago it was no big deal, now everybody is looking for the easy way out, even the companies doing the renting. Curious to see what other peoples experience has been.

Trr15

WKR
My auto insurance just covers the trailer while in tow. But no comprehensive.
There is likely a fixed policy limit for any coverage your policy affords for a non-listed trailer. The limits for these types of assets are usually low.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
There is likely a fixed policy limit for any coverage your policy affords for a non-listed trailer. The limits for these types of assets are usually low.
Correct. I think its around $2500. Not much at all.

wyosteve

WKR
Typically your tow vehicle policy will only cover liability if the trailer comes unhooked and damages someone else's property. It won't pay for trailer or contents damage. Need to find a separate policy/rider to do that.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
We ran into this this summer renting an aluminum car hauler to haul the side by sides out west, rental company offered no insurance and my dads state farm agent didn't want to cover it. I think finally after some finagling he got state farm to do a rider or something, but it was a hassle. I'm really becoming disappointed with insurance brokers these days, seemed like 10 years ago it was no big deal, now everybody is looking for the easy way out, even the companies doing the renting. Curious to see what other peoples experience has been.
Yes, it sucks. The rental company should offer more insurance, as one would think, it would make them more money. I havent been able to find anything yet on some type of supplimental insurance.