Insurance on optics

TravisIN

WKR
Any of you guys insure your high end binoculars or spotters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 25k for hunting equipment in my homeowners policy.

Probably would nort cover replacing my gear but it would keep me entertained for a couple days trying.

Not sure what my automotive policy would cover as far as theft.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I have 25k for hunting equipment in my homeowners policy.

Probably would nort cover replacing my gear but it would keep me entertained for a couple days trying.

Not sure what my automotive policy would cover as far as theft.

I’m gonna call my home owners and just see what I can do and what they cover. I’m with you, not sure 25k would cover me but would be a fun shopping spree .

Brendan

WKR
So - for everyone shopping for insurance, know the difference between replacement cost coverage, and actual cash value (ACV).

Let's say you get a Swaro ATX 95 stolen. Replacement cost coverage - you buy a new one, submit the receipt, they reimburse you up to the policy limit. If it cost you $5K to replace it, that's what you get. ACV - they only pay you the depreciated value. If they tell you it's worth $1500 used, then it's up to you to fight them for more or demonstrate a higher used value.

Replacement cost coverage costs a little more, but could matter big in a situation like this...

I’m gonna call my home owners and just see what I can do and what they cover. I’m with you, not sure 25k would cover me but would be a fun shopping spree .

I have been paying the insurance premium for 30 years now ever since buying my home.
If anything ever happened to my optics it will have happened at my home........just saying.

Trial153

WKR
I have rider on my home owners policy for replacement cost, not just on optics. I scan an upload all receipts...hell if anything happens to can come up with receipts for the entire rider and then some.

Ryry

FNG
Absolutely have a rider on All my Swarovski glass. Easy for my agent is a avid hunter !Just keep all your receipts serial numbers and have pictures of everything. my glass was all purchased new. Just added a new Nxs scope for the custom .300 also.$25,000 policy for my hunting gear.

Ryan

Most homeowners insurance does not comprehensively cover firearms and accessories. Its usually a very minimal amount under a sporting goods rider~$25k or so. Depending on your collection it might be beneficial for you to add coverage through an additional policy. Eastern Insurance covers firearms,optics,ammo,magazines, blades,etc. For a very reasonable price. I believe the minimum policy is $40k coverage for $150 per year. No appraisals required for individual items under 10k. I have a policy through them to supplement my homeowners. Be forewarned, they have the slowest, shittiest customer service and you'll have to keep hounding (Laura?) them for info but the rates are fantastic.

MattB

WKR
My homeowners polcy only covers guns and such up to $10,000. There is a separate policy/rider that would cover above that.

Shraggs

WKR
Yep. Seperste riders for knives, jewelry, optics guns and fishing gear.

I use a phone app that takes picture if each item and I enter details about it, then I can export it. Home contents are inventoried to with pics for proof.

I like my agent, she felt the home owners was adequate and they’d work with me.

Until I handed her a list with over 20k in knives...

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I have an inland marine policy for all of my hunting equipment, optics included, my wife’s fine jewelry, and a few other key expensive items. For less money per month than my wife and I spend on a single trip to ChicFilA we have a “no exclusions” policy for loss, theift, and damage worldwide. I had a handmade 1911 stolen from my truck and after the police report was filed it took two phone calls (one to my agent and one from someone at the home office asking for a sworn statement) and about two weeks before Shelter had a $4k check mailed to me. Gun safes at home don’t provide this kind of protection. As a backcountry hunter I particularly liked the damage protection clause too. If I slip and fall and my handmade guns and Swarovski optics go tumbling down the hill, there’s financial protection for that too. Almost all major companies offer some type of inland marine policy. Look into them: they are quite affordable.

I think that's something we all should do. I know I have coverage in my homeowner's policy but don't know the details well enough. I have a file stored (external hard drive) with pictures of all my valuables - on the advice of my insurance agent.