Interbond seating depth?

I am trying to work up a load in a 7mm-08 with 139gn Interbonds and H4350. Its the only powder I have so no other options with a hunt coming up in 4 weeks.

What kind of depth off the lands have you seen success with using this bullet?

Hudge

FNG
I load interbonds for my .308. I’ve had my bust accuracy by seating the bullet at the bottom of the cannelure.

Hudge

FNG
Sorry, I was thinking Interlocks. I got 500 of them from Hornady when I bought my press.

Marble

WKR
I am trying to work up a load in a 7mm-08 with 139gn Interbonds and H4350. Its the only powder I have so no other options with a hunt coming up in 4 weeks.

What kind of depth off the lands have you seen success with using this bullet?
If you can't measure where the lands are at, use the permanent market method and get them so they aren't touching the lands. Start there. Or if you can measure, .005 off the lands.

You won't really know exactly how far off you are with the first method, but it wont be very far off the lands and you should be able to get the bullet within. 010.

I've loaded for that particular round quite a bit and you should be able to get MOA fairly easy.

I've been using Big Game powder most recently and it works well with the .308 based shells.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vern400

WKR
0.010 off the rifling is going to be a good place to start. Those might be too long to fit the mag. Short action many guns will accept a 2 83 oal.
Take a 1/4 inch dowel. Close the bolt. Run the stick down the barrel to the bolt face. Scribe a mark on the stick PRECISELY at the end of barrel with a razor blade.

Remove bolt. Drop the bullet YOU PLAN TO USE into the barrel. Tap it from the rear with the stick. Gently is key if you wanna get it out. Insert the dowel down the barrel til it touches. Scribe a second mark. Tap the bullet out.

With calipers PRECISELY measure the distance between the marks. If you botch it do it again. That number you get is the bullet jam length. Back off maybe 0.015 so your bullet won't get stuck and dump powder in your gun.

That's the poor man's way. You can smoke a bullet with a candle and confirm your bullet has tiny land marks but has clearance so it can be extracted unfired. It works. 308 based rounds like the bullet close to lands - very little jump distance. If they fit the mag

Last edited: