Interested in a hybrid longbow

Kindo

WKR
I've really liked shooting my BW PTF and PSA as they both have shot really well for me. I haven't branched out to try many other bows as I always like to stick to what works, but now I've started to like the lines/looks/simplicity of a longbow.

Has anyone who's shot the PTF or PSA found a hybrid longbow that they really liked the feel of or has a similar grip? Most events around me have been cancelled with all the pandemic and all and I'm strongly considering flying out to RMS to test a variety as a round trip ticket is $50 or so.

I've tried BW's long bow and wasn't terribly impressed.

Thanks!

Medic77

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for more of a recurve style grip on a longbow, you'd be hard pressed to find better than a Blacktail Columbian, Schafer or Stalker. They seem to have that slightly higher but narrow throated grip. I haven't shot the Stalker but the other two are a dream come true. That "Dream" has a hefty price tag though.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
If you do fly out to rmsgear, you should think about scheduling a lesson while you are there.

That was part of my plan! I was thinking of perhaps a couple lessons over two days for my wife and I. She’s new to archery and I’m a terrible teacher!

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
To those who have shot both, what are your likes/dislikes compared to a recurve?

oldgoat

WKR
Longbow quiet is how you hear good recurves described, never the other way around! But I won't shoot one of those D-shaped longbows with a straight grip, they will rattle your teeth out. Probably easier to shoot a recurve especially for people just starting and people without good form.

I bought my son a Toelke reflex-deflex long bow from Toelke Archery and it is a sweet shooting bow. I now thing I need to save and get one for me. Father and son build these bows and they are fantastic.

A.Hutch

FNG
New guy to this forum, but I'll throw in on this thread. So far excellent advise. brands and actions. Here's another bowyer that doesnt get much mention. Dave Dwyer. He and his boy build some top shelf longbows. The grip profile may not be exactly what you have in mind, but don't let that push you away from his bows. They are shooters, period!

Hutch

LostArra

WKR
New guy to this forum, but I'll throw in on this thread. So far excellent advise. brands and actions. Here's another bowyer that doesnt get much mention. Dave Dwyer. He and his boy build some top shelf longbows. The grip profile may not be exactly what you have in mind, but don't let that push you away from his bows. They are shooters, period!

Hutch

Agree 100% I have an Endeavor and actually love the grip.

A.Hutch

FNG
Also, I know a lot of people talk very highly about Toelke, as they should, Damn fine bow. I had the dauntless, really wanted to try the endeavor when Dave came out with it. I promise put 'em both over a chrony with a good hunting weight arrow. I'm more than confident, BOTH will be impressive.

Hutch

I’ve only shot three hybrids, and own one made by Brian McBroom. It’s a fantastic bow. It’s really short (56”), but flings an arrow with authority, draws way out to my long length without issue, and looks great. It has a really unusual grip though, which I like but most people that shoot it don’t. The length makes it a little jumpy too, but a lengthy bow just doesn’t work well up here in the north Idaho pine jungle.

I like hybrids a lot in general. I shot an omega native that I liked, and an Elkhart that was really amazing.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the additional feedback everyone. I’ll look into Mr. Dwyers sticks as well. I’ve got the Footed Shaft about an hour and a half south of me and I may sneak down there to test what he’s got. I’d love to get to where I could test a bunch and narrow it down to one or three. I’ve been shooting my 58” PSA a lot more than my 62” and I really like the maneuverability of that shorter bow in the blind and on stand.

thanks again

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Also, I know a lot of people talk very highly about Toelke, as they should, Damn fine bow. I had the dauntless, really wanted to try the endeavor when Dave came out with it. I promise put 'em both over a chrony with a good hunting weight arrow. I'm more than confident, BOTH will be impressive.

Hutch

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like they’re just about 2 hrs away from me. I’ll have to see if they’re open and take a little road trip!

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone. I’ll look into Mr. Dwyers sticks as well. I’ve got the Footed Shaft about an hour and a half south of me and I may sneak down there to test what he’s got. I’d love to get to where I could test a bunch and narrow it down to one or three. I’ve been shooting my 58” PSA a lot more than my 62” and I really like the maneuverability of that shorter bow in the blind and on stand.

thanks again

Yeah, I love shooting the longest bow I can get my hands on, but they’re such a huge pain in the field. I think that’s where the hybrid really excels at a compromise.

A.Hutch

FNG
Glad I could help, i am jealous though... If I lived that close to Mr. dwyer he'd likely have a restraining order on me....

Hutch

Do yourself a favor and check out Acadian Woods. He sells a model called the Treestick that is a hybrid. I just recently shot Tim's, the owner, and will be ordering one in the future. He's been around a long time, I'm currently shooting his one piece recurve.