Interesting article… 140 accubond not good for moose. ???

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.270+Winchester+Short+Magnum.html

Seems like a pretty objective article. Was supposed to read this…

In the .270 WSM (and Weatherby) wide entry wounds created by the Accubond at close range are caused by immediate energy transfer which produces hydraulic shock. If the Accubond were softer, it would meet such resistance that the mass of the animal would overcome the bullet energy / wide entry wound phenomena. If the Accubond were tougher it would meet far less resistance and again, produce a small entry wound. The performance of this projectile is unique to its caliber, bullet weight, velocity and light to medium game weights. Wounding through vitals is thorough, gradually tapering off through offside muscle and bone. As can be expected, the 140 grain Accubond at magnum velocities is not the best choice for large game such as Moose.

OP
P
Think I may have located some 140 Barnes TSX. May see how gun shoots them.

Spoke with nosler and the 140 accubond in 270 is not on production schedule and won’t be until late Jan at the earliest.

OP
P
Well, the Barnes option didn’t work out. However… I Facebook messaged nosler and they wrote back almost immediately with a direct line and a guys name. I called and he said unfortunately he didn’t have any and the soonest they’ll be on production schedule would be end of Jan. He was very helpful. I wrote the Facebook person back and thanked them for trying to help and told them The gentleman was very helpful. About an hour passed and they wrote back and said “Call **** back. I think he found two boxes for you.” Called back and sure enough, he had gone out to warehouse and found two boxes! Not used to that kind of service these days! Pretty awesome. Even if I do go a different route for moose (back up gun) I don’t mind having another 40 of these rounds on hand. Gun loves them and I’d rather whitetail hunt this year with it than the 300 wm.

Thanks, Nosler!

Last edited:
OP
P
Yeah. I figured as much and jumped all over the two boxes they found for me in that cartridge. Pretty amazing customer service. Don’t see that often these days. Best I can tell those were the only two boxes in the United States at retail!

WCB

WKR
Article seems to be written by a guy that likes numbers and lacks real world an game evidence. Not surprised that is the world of gun and ammunition writers as a whole. And when they do have real world experience not a bad word is said because they got free product and a hunt paid for.

hodgeman

WKR
Article seems to be written by a guy that likes numbers and lacks real world an game evidence. Not surprised that is the world of gun and ammunition writers as a whole. And when they do have real world experience not a bad word is said because they got free product and a hunt paid for.
The Ballistic Studies guy has a ton of real world experience...just in Australia and New Zealand.

It's not uncommon that people think you need something bigger on moose, but despite their size usually aren't that hard to kill- there are definitely harder to kill animals that are a bunch smaller.

SDHNTR

WKR
Someone spends too much time behind a computer and desk and not enough time in the field.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
If I had a 270WSM and wanted to use it for moose, the 140 AB would be on the short list of bullets I would try.

I have used the 130 AB in the 270 Win for 8 seasons, and would not feel under gunned using that for elk or moose.

OP
P
Someone spends too much time behind a computer and desk and not enough time in the field.

I couldn’t agree more. Now do me a favor and convince my wife!

Locally (and usually one out of state trip per year) I don’t get but maybe 20 days in the field per year.

In the case of the moose hunt, we’ll that’s about 3,900 miles from home and will be my first trip… not exactly a quick weekend getaway. Short of shooting cows here in Florida with various bullets and different cartridges, time at computer is really the only available prep / research option.