Interesting buck bed

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
As I was scouting a new property today I was making my way through a thick area just outside a small swamp when I jumped a buck out of his bed. Upon closer investigation of the bed I found the most secluded bed I've seen.

This property was selective cut last year and so there are lots of tree tops around. This buck was basically living in a secluded cave. Check out the pictures and give me your thoughts.

He has two seperate beds under this tree top presumably for multiple winds, but the odd part is, there is only one exit for each bed as the back and sides are completely impenetrable. So if a predator surprised him and came from the front side he basically has to run straight at it to escape. I find this odd.
20210708_091126.jpg
20210708_090936.jpg
20210708_090949.jpg

Attachments

• 20210708_090928.jpg
    20210708_090928.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 34
Looks like it’s a Sasquatch bed that the buck stumbled upon.

I once hunted some 2 year cut with the tops left laying in a late season. Walked my same trail in for 5 days with a fresh snow the first day and no snow after. On the fifth day I walked in and decided to walk up a different direction off my normal trail and jumped a buck 20 yards off the trail in a thick top like that. Checked for tracks in and found nothing but track of him standing up, walking around 5 feet and laying back down. So that fella tucked in that thick top for the previous 5 days and watched me walk past him 4 days in a row and never budged, 20 yards from the trail I walked every day. When they find a nice tight spot with the right wind.... well I guess that’s what they would call home.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I find them under caves in OH sometimes, but they only seem to be used during the summer. Not sure, but it seems like they might have less caution in regards to escape routes in the summer due to less predator (human) pressure? I am assuming he beds there to be in the shade for most of the day. Definitely no Dan Infalt on buck bedding though, so just a thought.

Tank9

FNG
I was thinking he must have been there for the shade as well. Maybe it offers some bug protection for his antlers while they are in velvet too? Cool find, thanks for sharing the pics

OP
A

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Very interested observations and that definitely makes sense, I have just never seen such a fortified bed before. I probably would have walked right by him if he hadn't bolted.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I found a very similar bed last year. Between two lay downs with lots of overhead cover. It was in the middle of the season so I didn’t go in and investigate, but this looks identical to it.

I've found many similar beds like that white tail hunting here in Delaware, one year decided to walk in the woods behind our camp on public land and jumped a doe and a yearling from something very very similar about 30 yards from the tent!