Interesting conversation with IDFG

Okhotnik

WKR
I stopped at the IDFG booth at a sportsmen show the other and spent about 15 minutes talking to them about various subjects. One of the IDFG representative mentioned that Idaho will probably adopt non res regulations like New Mexico in the near future and added about ten per cent of tags will be allocated to non resident hunters.

P Carter

WKR
Excuse my ignorance, but does that (roughly) mean that all non-res tags be by lottery, with the total allocated to the non-res lottery maxing out at 10% of total tags issued the prior year? I would assume that they’re not going away from otc for residents so I would assume the 10% for non-res would be based on historical numbers? Interesting concept, I’d be interested in learning more if there’s a source you could point me to.

Rob5589

WKR
He was probably referring to the current regs that are to be implemented if passed by the state legislature. Limiting non res numbers and reducing hunter numbers in heavily hunted zones. That was for elk only. Non res fees will also increase if the regs pass.

Is it really that swamped in Idaho? I know Colorado is pretty swamped from being there but can’t be as bad or worse in Idaho.

OP
Okhotnik

Okhotnik

WKR
Is it really that swamped in Idaho? I know Colorado is pretty swamped from being there but can’t be as bad or worse in Idaho.

Idaho is getting there.
Excuse my ignorance, but does that (roughly) mean that all non-res tags be by lottery, with the total allocated to the non-res lottery maxing out at 10% of total tags issued the prior year? I would assume that they’re not going away from otc for residents so I would assume the 10% for non-res would be based on historical numbers? Interesting concept, I’d be interested in learning more if there’s a source you could point me to.

Parts of Idaho are getting pretty crowded

OP
Okhotnik

Okhotnik

WKR
He was probably referring to the current regs that are to be implemented if passed by the state legislature. Limiting non res numbers and reducing hunter numbers in heavily hunted zones. That was for elk only. Non res fees will also increase if the regs pass.

They mentioned elk and also deer NR licenses will be examined too. Again this was just a conversation wt the IDFG booth.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a feeling 15 years from now it’ll be hard to be a non res hunter all across the west. But that said, I think we’ll also see an increase in these states populations the more a remote workforce becomes more common place. I can work from anywhere as long as I have internet but the old school mentality of management still likes to see people in the office.

CorbLand

WKR
I have a feeling 15 years from now it’ll be hard to be a non res hunter all across the west. But that said, I think we’ll also see an increase in these states populations the more a remote workforce becomes more common place. I can work from anywhere as long as I have internet but the old school mentality of management still likes to see people in the office.
I think there is a lot of truth in that. I can do my job anywhere I have internet and two computer screens. Most jobs are headed that way and give it some time and its going to become extremely common. Hell, it would save the University I work for 4500 sq feet of office space.

I have a feeling that the intensity of NR hunters heading west will slow down next time the economy recedes some. It's surely picking up with the economy now, so it stands the reason it will also taper off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grundy53

WKR
I have a feeling that the intensity of NR hunters heading west will slow down next time the economy recedes some. It's surely picking up with the economy now, so it stands the reason it will also taper off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly did last time the economy tanked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk