Interesting Facebook post

JakeSCH

WKR
Found one stuck in the front shoulder of a cow elk last year in CO. She was away from the herd and could see she was hesitant to jump a fence so I had my buddy take her.

brocksw

WKR
More bowhunters, more inexperienced bowhunters, and bows/sights that allow longer shots...

This outcome is completely predictable.
Same could be said for boom sticks and accompanying improvements in technology though.

I know of a few elk that will be carrying around bullets this winter.
Are those trad tips?

mmac

WKR
Entirely predictable as stated above. People spend a lot of money and take time off, they don't want to go home empty handed. Many and will shoot at anything.

brocksw

WKR
How many of you think the growing popularity of long range hunting in both archery and firearms is contributing to this phenomenon?

ClearCreek
Imo it's not just "long range". Certainly some of that contributes, but I've seen guys at the archery/rifle ranges that don't inspire confidence at more socially acceptable distances either.

I think it's a combination of multiple factors. More hunters on the landscape as shown by the increasing demand for tags in western states. Knowing that it makes sense that more new hunters or more new western hunters are out there and don't know their limits, think that a particular broadhead or bullet is magic, and are desperate for a grip and grin for social media.

Jon C

FNG
Same could be said for boom sticks and accompanying improvements in technology though.

I know of a few elk that will be carrying around bullets this winter.

Are those trad tips?
Was wondering the same. None of those look like something and inexperienced guy would use. Maybe compound guys swethching to traditional?

I have pulled old broadheads out of elk on 7 different occasions. The first was back in 1988. It isn't a new problem, it is just publicized now because of social media.
You are right, it is nothing new. I believe in was in the mid-1980's, maybe earlier, that Idaho reported they figured the wounding loss on archery elk was the same as recovered archery elk.

ClearCreek

go_deep

WKR
I've pulled arrows, BB's from shotguns, buckshot, .22, and even some larger calibers out of deer, elk and bears at one point and time or another over the last 30 years, it happens