interesting read- strong or light?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://basecamp.kuiu.com/p/strong-or-light-by-greg-mchale/223232038/

His approach certainly seems to work for him and tough to argue with the guy's successes; I don't think he would be much of a slouch in the mountains :)

I still feel that an approach of being light AND strong, not OR, is the most likely to produce the best results

I know there are a few folks that feel strength training 4-5 times a week is a winning formula, with no need to worry about endurance work

And possibly (but I'm very skeptical) it is for some?

I think, as most things in life, balance is the key to most successes

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
All things equal, its better to be more muscular than less. The reality of things is that unless you are lifting heavy on a consistent basis (i.e. years) you just arent going to get that big. Once the newbie gains are done the rate of bulking gets much slower.

A lifter with big arms and chest but no legs is going to suck in the mountains, probably similar to an average fat guy.

Someone who balances lifting with some cardio will drastically outperform someone who only trains for endurance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've said it before, if I lift for strength all year I'll come in around 220 come September, but that's also harder on my knees. But I'm going to lose 15-20lbs every September as well, and then take 11 months to get it all back again. So I have to factor that in as well. This year probably won't matter, as my neck and back are giving me such fits that I haven't been able to lift much, so I'll come in light in Sept.......if I can even hunt this year. It might be time for that 4-level cervical fusion I've needed. I'd rather put it off until October if I can though, but my right arm strength (bow arm) is dwindling because of the motor nerve problems.

*zap*

WKR
High aerobic capacity, high muscular endurance and a good strength base is hard to beat.
IMO, 'good' strength is relative to proper form and range of motion of the exercise's. I have had guys tell me something like "I can do 20 pullups" and watched them do 20 somethings but not one actual pullup. Another is guys doing weighted dips or dumb bell bench with a 4" rom. So, it is all relative but strength that you can count on to be functional is, imo, based on proper form and full range of motion. You may be using lighter weight but your getting more benefit from the exercise's unless your doing something different from that for a specific reason other than just to use more weight.
Lots of extra muscle mass needs to be fueled, I think good lean muscle mass and a cns that efficiently stimulates the muscles you have may be better. But that is no reason not to have good lean 'capable' muscle mass.

JasonWi

WKR
I enjoy reading about everyone's different approaches to getting ready for season. Each year I try to access what I liked/disliked after season and how I intend to improve.

I've approached the past few seasons in a variety of ways, trying to determine which is the correct combination for me?

Two/three years ago I did lots of weighted pack hikes and tons of miles (covered country and packed meat fairly well but not quickly) but I lifted heavy weights/ low reps and weighted about #225 (way to much BF and muscle mass)

Last year because of elbow and shoulder issues, I backed way off on heavy lifting and had a super high cardio output. Moved very well in the mountains (packed out meat well), but my everyday strength was way down ( 210# and a bit lower BF)

This years approach is already more varied than the previous few. I'm doing much more whole body exercising. More HIIT training, heavier weights...I'm wanting to be the strongest I've ever been going into a season, yet maintain my cardio output. Lots of mileage with a weighted pack on.

In addition I'm also really improving my nutrition, lowering my BF and I'm anxious to see how much better this fall goes.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another is guys doing weighted dips or dumb bell bench with a 4" rom.

I always had to laugh when I'd see the super short guys doing bench getting less than 4" ROM on every lift, and then there's me with my 38" sleeve length arms with a 24" lift motion. Same for pullups. But when it's time for the front leg extensions, that extra length really shines. :)

Fatcamp

WKR
I always had to laugh when I'd see the super short guys doing bench getting less than 4" ROM on every lift, and then there's me with my 38" sleeve length arms with a 24" lift motion. Same for pullups. But when it's time for the front leg extensions, that extra length really shines. :)
I was around some pretty strong guys for a bit. They only had an 8-10" ROM while benching. Mind you, they were pushing 6-700#'s, so no laughs from my side of the room. :O

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a power lifter will do everything (within the rules) to minimize the moment arm; simply allows you to lift more weight- pure physics

yeah no laughs from me on anyone putting up three plates or more regardless how they’re doing it :)

Poser

WKR

Powerlifting as sport as some serious problems to the point that it’s kind of a joke. Somehow weightlifting (Olympic lifting) has managed to avoid these pitfalls and maintains rigorous movement standards. In order for Powerliftijg to fix itself, they’d have to toss the sumo deadlift (and throw out the records) in favor of a conventional DL (no way to cheat that if you are 4 feet tall). There’s no easy fix for the bench press issues, but requiring vertical forearms (as opposed to this ultra wide grip to shorten the ROM bullshit) is a start. Still, women 4 feet tall with a big butt can still arch the movement into something that no longer resembles the bench press. Throw out the bench press records, remove the bench press and revive the clean and press as the measurement of pressing strength.

That will never happen, though, and powerlifting will Continue to be a joke of a sport with no presence in the Olympics.

*none of the above is meant to confuse the notion that “strength training” and “powerlifting” are the same thing, because they are not. They may share the same basic training movements, but neither the purpose, the movement standards nor the training outcome are the same.

I'm 6 foot and weigh 140-ish soaking wet...my legs look like a number 11, but they've crossed mountain ranges from the arctic circle to the Mexico border...I literally run up and down ladders and scaffolding all day every day with 20 pounds strapped around my waist, and 50-100 pounds thrown over my shoulder...more muscle just equals more to carry....mountains are a mental game...

Poser

WKR
I'm 6 foot and weigh 140-ish soaking wet...my legs look like a number 11, but they've crossed mountain ranges from the arctic circle to the Mexico border...I literally run up and down ladders and scaffolding all day every day with 20 pounds strapped around my waist, and 50-100 pounds thrown over my shoulder...more muscle just equals more to carry....mountains are a mental game...

So, if you had 7 more lbs of lean muscle mass, weighed 147 lbs and your quads, hips, and back were twice as strong as they are now, mind you, with your spine incased by twice as much muscle as it has presently, you wouldn’t be able to cross the mountains as efficiently? You wouldn’t perceive your body as being more durable than it is now?

Because that exact outcome is very reasonably achievable in as little as 10 weeks of (proper) strength training.

*zap*

WKR
Is the juice worth the squeeze?

As you get older this becomes a very important question because of wanting to keep what you have accumulated and adding in improvement in a few different areas of fitness.

Total volume of exercise, intensity levels, duration of sessions and rest & recovery = a difficult set of circumstance to manage efficiently while making gains in different areas and not burning out. Keeping a balance and avoiding compulsive overindulgence in one area can be hard to achieve.

I think that being able to adapt sound training philosophies to your own personal plan is really the way to go rather than picking someone's 'training program' and doing that without adapting things to accomplish what will suit you best.

The author of the linked article is 'looking at the world thru his eyes'. I think it is best to actually understand his pov and reflect on it ...then take what you can apply to you and leave the rest in the back of your mind for future referance.

Last edited:

WKR
Bodybuilding culture and powerlifting as a sport have really messed up people's perception of strength, what it is, and how it's developed.

One can be quite strong without being big, or bulky.

Training discussions are mostly pointless without understanding the individual, their genetic strengths and weaknesses...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One can be quite strong without being big, or bulky.

Training discussions are mostly pointless without understanding the individual, their genetic strengths and weaknesses...

I had a buddy in college that I lifted with and we'd do the same routines. He'd constantly complain saying "You just keep getting stronger and I just keep getting bigger". Yep, just different genetics. I have long lean athletic muscles that never really "bulk" up, even when I do add muscle weight.

Poser

WKR
I had a buddy in college that I lifted with and we'd do the same routines. He'd constantly complain saying "You just keep getting stronger and I just keep getting bigger". Yep, just different genetics. I have long lean athletic muscles that never really "bulk" up, even when I do add muscle weight.

Still though, I’m guessing you were lifting in the hypertrophy rep ranges. Strength Training in the 3-5 rep scheme is not going to produce those types of size results, nor will people get considerably “bigger” without eating to get bigger. Also, normal life stuff, family priorities, and hunting trips are going to keep most any “average joe” who’s just trying to have a stronger body well within “average dude” range. The whole idea of “I don’t want to lift weights because I might end up looking like Eddie Hall or Ronnie Coleman” is absurdly laughable.

WKR
According to Dan John, 4-5 reps is where strength may start to meet hypertrophy for some people, depending on genetic and nutrition variables. 1-3 reps is unlikely to produce much in the way of hypertrophy.

But yeah, concerns about extreme body types like Eddie Hall or Ronnie Coleman is misplaced, especially when women are the ones concerned with becoming bulky. All one has to do to avoid those physiques is avoid repeated falls on a hypodermic needle.

Poser

WKR
According to Dan John, 4-5 reps is where strength may start to meet hypertrophy for some people, depending on genetic and nutrition variables. 1-3 reps is unlikely to produce much in the way of hypertrophy.

But yeah, concerns about extreme body types like Eddie Hall or Ronnie Coleman is misplaced, especially when women are the ones concerned with becoming bulky. All one has to do to avoid those physiques is avoid repeated falls on a hypodermic needle.

Even then, look at female Powerlifting world record holders such as Marisa Inda or Stef Cohen, and they look great. While certainly “big” by female standards, these are two of the strongest females in the world. Random chic going to the gym 3 days a week ain’t gonna get “too bulky” because she does some deadlifts and bench presses.