Interests

Swede

WKR
We all have our reason(s) for being on this or any other hunting forum. We share and even brag just a little, we learn or validate what we think we know, etc. Personally I am interested in what you know and what techniques help you in different situations. Even after killing many elk, I still find new items of interest. There are some very knowledgable folks who post online information. I know I am a better hunter today because of websites like this. In addition, I am more than willing to share just about any "how-to" type of knowledge I have. I have never felt that someone else's success comes at my lose. I am happy for your good fortune. Elknut's calling recommendations and the way Big Dan goes after a herd bull have been shared so clearly that even I can follow up on their advise. Many others have written of interesting experiences or "worth trying" tips. So, what have you learned and why are you reading this thread? What do you hope to get out of this site?

BuckSnort

WKR
Sometimes I don't get to hunt when,where and as much as I'd like to, therefor I hunt vicariously through all the hunting photo's and stories y'all tell... That and I like to keep up with all the new gadgets and products coming out...I just wish I could afford them..lol

OP
S

Swede

WKR
Bucksnort, I appreciate your very honorable thought. I have been there and am still a sucker when I read some claim about some interesting product.. These days I fear progress, in archery, is going to be the bow hunter's undoing. I still like some gadgets. There is some amazing stuff out there these days. My GPS is always with me. My new bow shoots a lot faster and I can shoot it more accurately than I could ever achieve 20 years ago. My arrows are straighter and fly faster than ever. The truth is not much of the equipment I have has made me a better hunter. What I have learned is more valuable than anything else.

BuckSnort

WKR
I agree about the gadgets not making one a better hunter...I go through stages of what is important to me..Right now I am stuck on getting my pack weight as light as I can within my budget... Sometimes I think I have to many hobbies, it's hard to afford them all...

sk1

WKR
well im here because im new to out west hunting and i LOVE IT, im fully addicted think about it every day, for more hours than i care to know....my wife and i recently starting a family has held me back from excelling as much as i would like, but in time that will come....i love to read about all the adventures i will soon be having as im gearing up toward solo bivy hunting deep in the mountains for elk....i do day trips now from a base camp...but am making plans for my full arrival to bivy hunting to hunt at least two states in 2013 my 2012 hunt style will still be from a basecamp unfortunately. within the next few years i hope to be like some of the guys here hunting many animals in multiple states.

i have only hunted elk for 2 years and by myself with no one to instruct me, but the most valuable thing i have learned...and it was in a book, was: "why do you keep on doing what isn't working" and unfortunately it hit me like a ton of bricks....i could think of numerous things i was doing that just dont work, and the answer to that question was "because im an idiot" but i dont do those things anymore ;)

edit: btw, i have been on all the hunting forums maybe under a different name or two....but this is the first one with the information and type of crowd i have been looking for.....most other forums i feel like an outcast just for asking a simple question. so that's another reason i come here

Last edited:

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Just a tip for Curtis C here. "Stay away from Russ' chilli. That stuff can ruin a hunt in a hurry. LOL!

B

bearguide

i want to learn about new gear for people who know a lot more than me, so i can try to get the right stuff

OP
S

Swede

WKR
WW, thanks for the Russ Chilli tip. I wish someone would have warned me a couple years ago about Stagg's Two Bean Chilli. Next to food poisoning, I believe it gave me the worst night I have experienced at
least from "food".

I love seeing photos, gear guys are using, tips/tactics. I work in a shop and so while I am "stuck" there during season I love seeing my customers bringing in their success photos and sharing their stories. I get the feeling that every animal that they harvest I had a hand in tagging.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are so many avenues, angles, and techniques to do the same thing. I want to know every way there is to "skin a cat", so I can apply it to how I hunt. I have learned more from and met some of the best people online. If it wasn't for the computer I wouldn't be near where I am today.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Failure is not an option and I think, I'm pretty sure, I hope can stay at home. It's I will, I know. I'm not camping hoping to see elk I'm hunting. To learn as much as I can and be the best I can be that's why I'm here.