Internal vs External frame

Barroninc

FNG
I’m looking for a new all around pack for Elk season. What are your deciding factors for choosing between an external or Internal frame pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to Rokslide, experienced with this. The primary benefit of external frames is the ability to separate the pack from the frame and run multiple bags with the same frame or strap meat or gear between the bag and frame. If you have no intention of doing either, you’re fine with an internal frame pack. Some guys prefer to put the meat inside their pack, not something I personally would choose to do.

Beendare

WKR
It used to be that external frame were more modular as described above....but now the top internal frame packs are almost all that way.

The top pack choices; Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery ranch....good fit is the key.

_______

OP
B

Barroninc

FNG
New to Rokslide, experienced with this. The primary benefit of external frames is the ability to separate the pack from the frame and run multiple bags with the same frame or strap meat or gear between the bag and frame. If you have no intention of doing either, you’re fine with an internal frame pack. Some guys prefer to put the meat inside their pack, not something I personally would choose to do.

I like the idea of keeping the meat as separate as possible. Thanks

OP
B

Barroninc

FNG
It used to be that external frame were more modular as described above....but now the top internal frame packs are almost all that way.

The top pack choices; Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery ranch....good fit is the key.

_______

Definitely a step up in cost. But I’m really interested in the EXO K3 I think. Thanks

EXO is nice until you compare it to a Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Pack fit is most important but EXO isn’t in the same class.

Beendare

WKR
EXO is nice until you compare it to a Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Pack fit is most important but EXO isn’t in the same class.

I would disagree with that comment as I just bought an EXO pack a couple months ago after coming off my last pack....a McHale custom. I tried a couple of the packs mentioned.....I'm 6'4" hard to fit- and that new EXO 4800 fits me great.

_____

I would disagree with that comment as I just bought an EXO pack a couple months ago after coming off my last pack....a McHale custom. I tried a couple of the packs mentioned.....I'm 6'4" hard to fit- and that new EXO 4800 fits me great.

_____

Having all 3 side by side for comparison I’d respectfully disagree they’re in the same league. The EXO may fit you better but it’s not in the same class of quality and construction.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
My first backpack was a Kelty Trekker, and it had some great things going for it. The ventilation was awesome in the summer. The suspension transferred weight directly into my hipbelt and never sagged. On the other hand, the pack felt like a board strapped to my back and was clumsy off of established trails. That same design is pretty much what you'll find on any traditional external frame, although the details and quality vary from pack to pack.

Seek Outside makes external frame packs without the clumsy feeling of something like a Kelty. The bags are very simple, but the real selling point is the suspension. The frame is very rigid vertically like traditional externals, but the pack rides as close to the body as an internal frame. The full-wrap hipbelt is a feature inherited from external frame packs and high-end McHale packs. Many people find that the lumbar pad design with padded hipbelt wings found on most internal frames is not as effective or comfortable as a quality full-wrap belt.

The real disadvantage to the SO design versus a traditional external frame is a result of how close it rides to your back - there is not much ventilation. I do prefer Seek Outside to all other packs, but my experience with Kifaru and Stone Glacier is limited. I've handled them and loaded them down with weight, but haven't used them in the field. I have owned and used Mystery Ranch packs, and they are great, but their approach to suspension is radically different (and more complex) than Seek Outside.

Wags

WKR
I've been struggling on which style pack to go with. I have an ALPS external frame and a new SG 5900. There is a massive difference in the way the two haul weight. IMO the APLS is far better at distributing the load. It's probably due to the fact that you can secure the load to the frame better using rope or straps and prevent it from shifting around.

Getting weight in the bag of the SG causes the bag to sway a bit in comparison. I may give the SO a go and see which one I prefer more but so far the external frame pack wins in hauling weight / stability.