International Flights via JFK

Anyone flown international flights in and out of JFK? Heading over to Madrid for an Ibex hunt and flights out of JFK are a lot less skymiles than through ATL. I won't be traveling with my rifle and I have Global Entry. Only flown in and out of ATL on the East Coast. Just wondering if this is a "must avoid" airport. Thinking it can't be worse that LAX or SFO but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
JFK is a great airport as long as you're traveling WITHOUT a firearm. Ive been flying in and out of there my whole life.

JFK is fine. If you do have a gun you will be inspected by port authority police. Not usually an issue for a hunting long gun but pistols and anything not legal in NY can cause problems.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
JFK is fine. Just check arrival and departure terminals. You may need to take airtrain to get around. If so, you’ll need more time.

OP
Ohio Darin
JFK is fine. Just check arrival and departure terminals. You may need to take airtrain to get around. If so, you’ll need more time.

Thanks. We'll have 2 hours between flights. Thinking that should be enough having Global Entry and no rifle. When traveling international with a rifle I usually look at 3 hrs minimum.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s all in one terminal, you’re fine. I travel internationally up to 200 days a year. Most of them from JFK.

Rick

FNG
I've had different experiences traveling through JFK with about 50% of my international flights being delayed either coming or going. If I have a choice I always choose ATL over JFK even though the flight is a bit longer.

If you are on direct flights it isn't that big of a deal but I've had missed connections due to JFK delays.