Intimidated

Coda_C

FNG
Ok, so I thumbed through this channel, and there are so many acronyms and specifics going on I lost track!! I'm a simple guy, I work on airplanes, and don't get to the gym like I should. Because of my work I nearly have AIDS. (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) What would be a good 30 min regimen yo do during lunch hour or something? I need to lose the gut, build back strength and hiking stamina. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Push ups, pull ups, dips. Run or jog for 30 minutes. 30 minutes with 20% bodyweight in a pack @ 4mph. 3 10 minute sets with 5 min rest in between with 30% bodyweight in a pack @ 4mph.
Add in some deadlifts, squats, farmers carries, overhead presses and bench presses after a little while....

OXN939

WKR
Ok, so I thumbed through this channel, and there are so many acronyms and specifics going on I lost track!! I'm a simple guy, I work on airplanes, and don't get to the gym like I should. Because of my work I nearly have AIDS. (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) What would be a good 30 min regimen yo do during lunch hour or something? I need to lose the gut, build back strength and hiking stamina. Thanks in advance!

AIDS. Lol.

No need for intimidation; you can get a really great workout in 30 minutes that's super easy to put together. Start with a mile jog on the treadmill. Totally fine to walk part of it if you have to. Then row 500 yards on the erg machine. Spend the rest of the time doing body weight and light machines of your choosing. Monday, do legs. Wednesday, push. Friday, pull.

Self correcting, too- as you get faster on the run/ erg, you get a longer resistance training workout. This is really all the training you need to complete most hunts on here.

Btaylor

WKR
Take the first day's 30 minutes and analyze diet. Where can you clean it up? Wife and I almost never exceed 30 minute workouts. We try to focus on compound movements and varied cardio like incline treadmill, stairs, eliptical and stairmaster. You really only need one goal, lifetime committment.

fatlander

WKR
Clean up your diet. You’re never going to get a gut off with 30 minutes of exercise per day. Not saying that exercising isn’t important, but there isn’t a feasible amount of physical activity to offset a crappy diet.

Intermittent fasting has been my favorite way to lose and keep off weight. I eat or drink whatever I want in my window. I couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at a label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Coda_C

FNG
Sounds good, thanks everybody! I'm sure I'll have questions later about what can help with xxxxxx. I just dont know what the next topic will be.

First thing is diet. I'll plagiarize the famous (infamous?) Dan John:

Eat like an adult. Stop eating fast food, stop eating kid’s cereal, knock it off with all the sweets and
comfort foods whenever your favorite show is not on when you want it on, ease up on
the snacking and— don’t act like you don’t know this— eat vegetables and fruits more.
Really, how difficult is this? Stop with the whining. Stop with the excuses. Act like an
adult and stop eating like a television commercial. Grow up.

Walk. Lunch time when you aren't working out - go for a 30 minute walk. Weighted/not weighted -- just walk,

Workouts

Ladders are good. You can get a lot of reps in without realizing it.
1 rep then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 = 25 reps.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 = 55 reps.

Alternate exercises - 1 pushup/1 pullup/2 pushups/2 pullups/etc
Use whatever # for each exercise so that you are working out. Pullups usually are much harder than pushups so they are fewer reps.

Pushups (look up how to do them correctly. Few people do). Many variations are available but get the basic version down.
Pullups - buy some bands to help if you can't do at least 3. Jumping pullups are not pullups. They are a great workout, but they won't help you much get better at pullups.
Static Pullup holds on the bar - Jump with your chin over the bar and hold it. Go down as slowly the entire way as possible.
horizontal rows from a bar/rings/etc Lay on your back, keep your torso tight and 'row' yourself to the bar.
lunges/air squats/cossack squats/etc. There are many variations that will work your legs.

During the day - drop and get 10 pushups (or whatever # is not hard)
During the day - do 10 air squats. Motion is lotion with the knees.

Planks - again there are many variations. I'm not a fan of situps. Bad on the back when done incorrectly and 99% of people do them incorrectly. The core muscles are designed to support and resist movement. Train them that way and your back will thank you.

Get a jump rope. It's fun and harder than you remember.

If you need something scheduled - look at Al Kavaldo. Goofy dude, but super nice and he knows his stuff. He has an app that will schedule workouts and tell you what to do with demos on how to do them: We're Working Out"

Anyway - most of all - have fun!

GLB

WKR
What I would do in your situation is don’t worry about all the specialized workouts that are out there. What I would do to start out is clean up your diet and tell yourself that you are going to do something everyday even just one type of exercise.

Start out doing a walk, then add stairs, then maybe throw a light pack on once a week 25-30lbs and walk. You will be surprised how that will lead you into a routine and from that you will add more exercises.

keep it simple but tell yourself that you are going to do something everyday!

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I like body weight stuff to keep workouts simple. Need to master your body before adding weights. Th as t includes cleaning up your diet. My dad worked on planes in the airforce, so good luck to you in your endeavors!

Simple workout I've done in the past I found on a military site before, was to keep your body weight stuff in ratios so 1 pullup, 2 situps, 3 pushups. So scale from there. So ideally, 100 pullups, 200 situps, 300 pushups. With an added twist. Everytime you stop, you have to sprint a 1/4 mile in under 1 min 30 secs.
If you're just getting back into it, start easy. Just take 30 minutes to walk or jog one day. Then the next just do the cycle of 1 pullup. 2 situps, 3 pushups, repeat, for 30 minutes. Then go from there.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Burpees into a Box Stepup switch legs every rep do AMRAP (As Many Reps As Possible) without stopping until you burn out all you need is a 24" Box.

First, what's your exercise history, where's your health at in terms of any major conditions, and what skill level are you with basic movements (pressing, pulling, squatting, hip hinges, lateral movement, running, etc), and what does your day look like. Not every workout is going to be right for you, where you're at physically, and might not be right to get you where you want to be.
source: am strength and conditioning coach

Trr15

WKR
I know its already been stated, but its worth reiterating: You wont lose the gut without a better diet. Period. Good for you for wanting to get back into shape. Whatever type of routine you choose, be consistent, track your results and progress and push through the workouts that you really, really don't want to do or feel like you don't have the time or energy to do. Couple that with a better diet and you'll see results relatively quickly.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Your diet determines most of your health, the exercise determines your fitness. You can't "out exercise" a bad diet.

Clarktar

WKR
Clean up your diet. You’re never going to get a gut off with 30 minutes of exercise per day. Not saying that exercising isn’t important, but there isn’t a feasible amount of physical activity to offset a crappy diet.

Intermittent fasting has been my favorite way to lose and keep off weight. I eat or drink whatever I want in my window. I couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at a label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you give a basic day outline or week outline of your intermediate fasting routine or approach?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Can you give a basic day outline or week outline of your intermediate fasting routine or approach?

Can’t speak for fatlander but for myself I started with a 10 hour window for eating then eventually got it to a 4 hour window. IF is really simple.

I still drink black coffee in the morning and drink lots of water during the day. I put a tbls or two apple cider vinegar in my water before I break my fast. Not sure if that helps but I have read good things about it.

I don’t pay much attention to what I eat but just when I eat. It’s been an absolute game changer for me. I did keto and other diets that I needed up quitting because I just couldn’t stay on them. IF has really helped.

You can have really good and quick results if you have a low carb diet with IF. Loose weight really quick that way.

Keep in mind that pretty much anything in any amount will break your fast.

IF is a good way of forcing yourself into calorie reduction without having to control for everything you're putting into your body. All things being equal a cleaner diet will be better for you than not.

I'd say start with determining your window, most people start with 8-10 hours and then slowly reduce it over time. Figure out what time of day generally works better for you to eat. Lots of people do fasting throughout the night into the morning and then break their fast in the afternoon. (I do the opposite since eating at night gives me indigestion and messes with my sleep.)

During your fasting period coffee, tea, water are your friends to keep your hunger away. When you do eventually eat try to pace it out through your window. If you're brave you can try one meal a day (OMAD). Like remps said though, anything you eat that has calories will break your fast. There are lots of resources that go into optimizing your fast and getting in and out of it, but to start just keeping in your window should be enough to worry about.

As for weekly, there really isn't much to do other than keep it up. If you're looking to shorten your window over time, then weekly or biweekly reductions of an hour are usually a pretty good pace.

I use an app called Zero to help me track my fasting times, there are others out there though.