Introducing BaseMap's NEW NavCam Feature

BaseMap

NavCam is changing the game when it comes to planning stalks, recovering downed game, and snagging sheds from across the canyon. Simply open the app, type in your yardage, point your phone in the target's direction and a remote marker will be placed.

Learn about our new feature here -> https://bit.ly/3vNq1HG

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (23).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (23).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 30

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone used this? Is it pretty accurate or?

Kris
Basemap's not a sponsor anymore so they may not chime in.

I can say I looked at it the Expo last year. It's similar technology to what is in my Swaro' EL Range TA. After looking at it, I thought that it'll hurt the sales of the binos with the technology as it's cheaper on a phone. But I didn't get to try it.

@realunlucky did you have it on your Basemap app when you did that review a few years back?

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider

I can say I looked at it the Expo last year. It's similar technology to what is in my Swaro' EL Range TA. After looking at it, I thought that it'll hurt the sales of the binos with the technology as it's cheaper on a phone. But I didn't get to try it.

@realunlucky did you have it on your Basemap app when you did that review a few years back?
I’ve used it. Works well. 👍

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sorry guys this App upgrade is an option I haven't tried. I do like that basemap is constantly innovating.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Limitless Outdoors used the feature on a moose hunt in AK during a recent episode on the YT channel.
(time stamp 13:15) Seemed to work pretty well.

Cooter49

FNG
I stop by their both at the Expo. I was think of trying them, but I'm so used to how onX work and I have things pined. I'm just lazy.

GotDraw?

WKR
@GoatPackr -

I did the math, hope this gives a perspective of what it can do.

The unit has stated accuracy of 1 degree.

Therefore, 1 degree isosceles triangle at shot distance of 1000 yds implies a 52 foot base. This implies a 52ft diameter circular search area. Double that for 2000yds, cut it half for 500yds, etc.

That is pretty friggin awesome.

That said, they do not tell you the +/- error (standard deviation) of their stated accuracy, so YMMV. Also very dependent on how stable your rangefinder and phone are when using the app so you accurately tag the shot location. Best practice would be to have the RF and camera on a tripod mount for really long shots in order to control errors and have optimal solutions. On a very long shot, my guess is that the hunter would not be able to hand-hold the RF or Phone app stable enough to have an optimal ranging math solution for the animal. Those errors would exceed the built in 1 degree error of the system, so have and use a tripod if you plan long shots.

JL

Last edited: