Introduction from New Zealand

Tentman

FNG
Hello Guys

Can't find a special section for intro's so here goes - I'm another Kiwi hunter (I see a few others on here too) from about as far south as you can go in New Zealand (the small city of Invercargill, pop 50,000 to be specific).

I put a bit of venison in the freezer when we run low but my passion is Tahr (Himalayan Tahr) hunting in our mountains, I don't generally take trophies but just enjoy being out in grand country. Its been my pleasure to host/assist many visiting hunters, I'm not a guide, but will often take a guy/gal hunting in some easier country so he/she is well acclimatized for their main hunt.

I've hung out here and garnered a lot of good advice for some years - time to step out into the room!

Cheers
Foster

elkguide

WKR
Glad that you finally came into the room. Great place to hang out and learn. Lots of knowledge here.

I had the good luck to be able to hunt Red Deer and Fallow deer on the North island several years ago. Would love to get back down under to enjoy your paradise.

Welcome.

Dinger

WKR
Hey mate,

I'm over the ditch and get to NZ on the odd occasion. I was going to chase Tahr during Lowvember this year but I think those plans are scuttled.

Cheers,

Dinger

Dinger

WKR
Welcome....have you guys been hit with Covid 19?
The Kiwis went into full lock down early and got in front of it. They are that serious they banned hunting as a reasonable excuse to leave the house....which for NZ is pretty hardcore.

Based on Worldometer stats they are doing ok. What say you Foz?

OP
T

Tentman

FNG
Gidday Cob ! Yup no hunting is tough, I'm lucky, we live on a small holding so I can still shoot a bit with 22's etc. plus I got a lot of rifle projects to tinker with and still more to "plan". I'd say things might be right enough by "Lowvember" for a visit, were you planning East or West coast?? East coast is easier for me from here, and with fairly big walk-ins on the West coast (unless you fly, which I have done on occasion) I don't venture over there too often - the weather and much more challenging country is a factor too.

OP
T

Tentman

FNG
As far as Covid goes (lots of talk, thats cheap) we are fairly close to the sharp end, my wife is an ICU nurse. No cases in ICU here yet but they will surely come. I don't like our Gubermint one little bit but in this case we have to "hold the line" with what has been decided for our community/country.

ozyclint

WKR
welcome. i had grand plans of chasing tahr again next month but that has been shot down in flames.
i can't imagine the situation over there right now with hunting being banned during the roar and onwards.
make sure you vote out that leftist grubbermint next election!!!

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, had a trip planned for mid June on the South Island but CV shutdown negates our trip for this year. Oh well, it was more for my grandson than for me. He was to do most of the hunting. I was merely to be an observer videographer for him. Hunted the South Island May 2016. Grand adventure. Perhaps next year if all is well. Be safe and take care. MTG

ShakeDown

WKR
Welcome. I have always wanted to visit NZ. Hopefully someday. For now thank you to your country for Nathan Foster and Terminal Ballistics Research, and for my favorite sweater the Swazi “The Hood”.

npm352

WKR
Welcome Tentman...hope you are staying safe.

Love NZ. Took a tahr and a pair of small red deer stags on crownland a few years ago. Want to head back sometime. Live in and hunt Idaho and am willing to help others.

Ron.Lee

FNG
Welcome,
I HAD plans to go down there in an area about a 3 hr drive out ChCh last month to chase some Red Stag. Would like to chat with you sometime about tactics, and if you need any direction to be pointed up here in the Good old U S of A let me know.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Supposed to have been doing a Central Otago DoC land roar hunt in a few weeks....so bummed! At least there will be more older and bigger stags to chase next year!

OP
T

Tentman

FNG
Thanks guys. I'm always happy to "chat" with hunters want to come down here, some Kiwi's feel all visitors should be guided, however I'm always pleased to see guys with enough gumption to do the research and plan their own hunt. Taking yourself on a public land hunt is an essential element of our hunting heritage here. My typing skills aren't up to much so I prefer to talk, once I have 10 posts I'll be happy to pass my phone number to folks by PM.