Intrusive Bears and Food Stored Under Truck Bed Covers

Anyone stored food in a truck bed with hard (or I guess soft) cover and had a bear try and get in there?. I have a hard tonneau cover on my bed and am looking to bring a cooler with steaks, burgers, etc for an extended hunt. We'll be in black bear country for sure with the possibility of grizzly so just want to take some precautions and store food away from camp in a secure place but it'll be too much to put up in a tree. I also don't want some free loading bear running off with my chow and more importantly, don't want him destroying my paint or cover trying to get in.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I never give black bears a second thought when I’m deep in the woods. If I’m around town or at a place with lots of summer hikers I think it becomes more of an issue. The black bears I see are terrified of humans and their scent.

I used to have a hard cover for my pickup, and I can say the one I had would not pass muster as being bear resistant. Not sure which one you have, so that may or may not be the case for you. If you’re planning on being on a national forest, or other area within a grizzly bear recovery zone, where grizzly bears may be present, there will more than likely be a food storage order in place you’ll need to be compliant with. They are different depending on area, so be sure to check out those specifics online. Here’s a good place to start.

In terms of things generally consisted bear resistant, it needs to be hard sided, able to withstand roughly 200 lbs of force per square inch, and have no gaps large enough that would allow a bear to get its claws in.

Hope that helps!

If there's food in there, the bear will get it. They may even look if they don't smell food. I break up chlorine pool tabs and place it around my truck...it irritates the nose and keeps everything from rodents to bears outta the truck. Do the same for my tent.

DEGdog

FNG
Before you go backcountry in many national parks you have to watch a video on bears and food storage. Lots of clips of bears opening car/truck doors, breaking windows, etc with ease. If they want in, they’re gonna get in. Especially true where they have learned vehicles=food. You might be better off getting a cooler that is rated as bear-resistant, lock it up tight, and leave it outside your vehicle. At least that way your vehicle won’t get damaged if a bear or jackass tries to steal the food.

Deadfall

WKR
Single wire electric fence with a solar powered controller. Put fence knee high. Will keep all bears out, brown or black Personal experience from the bob. Outfitter I worked for in bob, which is heavily populated with grizzly and black been using that around his camps since late 80s. Never had a bear Penetrate it. Have had some touch it with their nose in middle of night. Which will give your heart a good jump when they bellow.

11boo

WKR
Had a friend have his cap lift gate torn off by a bear . Coolers in there trashed, bear got a dozen cans of beer too.

A cover is no match for a determined bear. Black or brown. Bears have wrecked cabins, cars, trucks, rv’s and more. Just the same, I wouldn’t let that stop me from bringing a ribeye or 3. It’s the risk we all take when hunting in God’s country. Good luck

bigjohn2

FNG
Deadfall, with his solar powers electric fence is so right on. Reminds me of an elk camp I drove through in south Colorado one year. Free ranging cattle had found this guys camp and had it strewn over a space of an acre. I never seen anything like it. I’d bet that guy has an electric fence today.