Investing In You, By Ben Blakeley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
intro-pic.jpg

Ben grew up in northern Utah. He didn't grow up hunting big game but enjoyed upland bird hunting with family and friends. Ben did a lot of camping, backcountry canoeing, and hiking while growing up. Backcountry hunting combines a lot of those activities which is why he enjoys it so much. He is happiest when up in the high country scouting or hunting, especially for sheep.

In this article, Ben talks about the importance of improving yourself and not just your gear. Check it out!

Investing In You

Last edited:
Invest by backpacking...there is no better way to toughen up feet, get your body ready for steep downslopes, upslopes and side slopes, fine-tuning a heavy pack, break in boots, etc.

Invest by shooting balloons in the field. Tight groups from the bench are fine.
At what distance can you kill a balloon after hiking up a ridge with a stiff crosswind?
At what distance can you kill a balloon off sticks or your pack from the rocks?
Balloons are fantastic for instantaneous feedback under field conditions.
They can teach you your effective range for your rifle under field conditions.

All very good points. Practicing in conditions that mimic the 'real thing' is the best way to set yourself up to be successful.

Moccasin

FNG
Great article. Keep working hard, remember to continue learning, and stay disciplined. It's funny the looks I get from co-workers when I tell them I'd rather go to a ranch work weekend or a shooting course than on a cruise for vacation. I prefer to get better than to get fat on a ship (or catch coronavirus.)

Ycc33

FNG
Great article, I think way to many guys out there don't take the time to invest in their well being . It is go go go these days. Invest in yourself......

Zak89

FNG
Small world! When are you going? I’m going to an April class...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is in May, I'm also taking the 1-day classroom rifle fundamentals course since you apparently need both to advance to their Precision Rifle class. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.