Iowa EHD 2019

Dooger

FNG
I have accumulated enough points for a 2020 Iowa deer hunt, but I caught wind that EHD is hitting the state pretty hard this year. Anybody have any observations from the state this year and what part of the state you are seeing die offs? Curious if I should wait and burn points in WY or CO instead.

ceadmin

FNG
EHD is hitting at least the southern tiers of the state. Buddy of mine and his neighbors found over 80 deer dead. IDNR is reporting at least 400 confirmed with the understanding that the bow hunters will find and report more when season opens shortly. EHD is a natural recurring issue here and it depends where you go whether I would postpone or not. If you do, it takes several years for recovery in a particular area.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I've been out doing a lot of scouting/fall mushroom hunting in the east/central part of the state and haven't found any. In the past, the southern two tiers of counties have been hit the hardest by EHD.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Warren county (south of Des Moines) is the epicenter for sure.. Updated article last night from IDNR reports 900 confirmed cases. Reporting EHD is a new thing this year it seems like so hard to tell if this year will be worse than 2012.

I cashed in my points this year for a zone 6 tag and will be hunting jefferson county.... though I almost opted for zone 5 as I had access to some great property in Lucas and Wayne counties. I'm glad I chose zone 6.... but ya never know. This EHD situation could really suck for a lot of people hunting in 4 and 5, and those who had waited planning to go next year. I guess time will tell how it shakes out when the loss is truly quantified.

I cashed in my points this year for a zone 6 tag and will be hunting jefferson county.... though I almost opted for zone 5 as I had access to some great property in Lucas and Wayne counties. I'm glad I chose zone 6.... but ya never know. This EHD situation could really suck for a lot of people hunting in 4 and 5, and those who had waited planning to go next year. I guess time will tell how it shakes out when the loss is truly quantified.
how did your hunt go in zone 6

FLS

WKR
I have hunted the same area in zone 4 for 15 years. It’s some of the best habitat available and has produced consistently until recently. Mature buck sightings and kills are down significantly. I saw a bunch of young bucks and killed one of the only two mature bucks I saw in a week on hunting sitting from dawn till dark.

how did your hunt go in zone 6

Ohh it went ok :)

I got an itchy finger on my 4th time in a tree on Nov. 11th ( had 15 days to hunt). I partly wish I'd held out a little longer so I could have experienced a few more days of hunting, but I'm happy with the result none the less!

Attachments

• buck 2.jpg
    buck 2.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 34

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
south of 80 and west of 35 I know some landowners and used to live their personally. They have been hit and numbers are down
I am sitting on 7 pts and was going to hunt this year but heading to WY instead

arlow

FNG
Following.

My buddy and I have 3 points and are buying our 4th this spring so our target was zone 5 in 2021.