Iowa non-resident hunting experiences

Iowaguy

FNG
All above is true to some extent. It is important not over look small public areas. I hunt private, my own land and relatives. One area I hunt is adjacent to a small public piece, 80 acres. I would plan on no one hunting it and that was part of my strategy. Lots of mature bucks moving through. Also, don't over look marsh areas used for mostly waterfowl hunting. I dont know how many times I sat in a duck blind during the rut and saw 170+ bucks cruising the edges of a marsh.

MQQSE

FNG
The rut is awesome, but don't overlook late season if you can get access to property that will have food on it. I own a farm in zone five and the late season is my favorite by far. Having a very large farm in Missouri and comparing that to my smaller Iowa farm (Although they are 30 miles apart) demonstrates how much better Iowa is due to how they manage their herd and hunters.

drtonkin

FNG
Just bought my second point and really looking forward to the journey. The buddy I’m going with is hard up to hunt private, lots of work ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted unit 5 several years and always had great hunts on private land. I always saw several P&y bucks and overall hunting pressure was much lighter than my home state.

However, talking to guys at the motel who were hunting the area public made me think public land in Iowa is still tough hunting. Much like Wisconsin, most of them shot 2 year old bucks or ate their tag waiting for a big one. As others have stated, you will need to do your Homework if you are planning to go the public land route.

You can PM me with specific questions about where I was hunting, etc.
I sent in for a PP this year. How many would it take to draw? Unit 5 a place I should try to obtain private permission? Thanks!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
It has been a few years since I hunted unit 5, but at the time it took me 4 years to draw.

As for public land in unit 5, there are some good sized public areas, but I think pressure has picked up over the years and made them tougher to hunt. When I last hunted southern Iowa I stayed in a motel and got to know a few other hunters. The guys hunting private did out perform the guys hunting public by a pretty wide margin, so it would be worth obtaining access to private if possible.

Trial153

WKR
I am hunting 5 this year, planning on the last few days of oct to about the 12th of November. If have to maybe a return trip after thanksgiving

Scottyboy

WKR
I am hunting 5 this year, planning on the last few days of oct to about the 12th of November. If have to maybe a return trip after thanksgiving
Congrats on the tag, I’m 1-2 years before it will be my time. Are you planning on doing private or public?

magstar67

FNG
I sent in for a PP this year. How many would it take to draw? Unit 5 a place I should try to obtain private permission? Thanks!

I didn’t get drawn for 5 this year with 3 points so it will likely take 4 points unless they had a big increase in applicants the last few years, if that was the case it will be like western states and keep taking more points to draw each year

Rellim33

FNG
Has anyone received their NR tags yet?
A few of my buddies have, I’m still waiting and hoping it’s not lost in the snail mail lol. Headed to zone 5 as well, hunted zone 4 five years ago and went 4 for 4 but decided to try out zone 5 instead. Headed for public unless we make some connections somehow. Good luck to all! If you see a brown haired guy dressed in camo it might be me! 😜

Conway200

FNG
I’ve bowhunted southern Iowa four times now. Two of the times on public land. Once I saw one other hunter in ten days. The other I ran into quite a few guys. Regardless, there were some good bucks around.

PA Bruce

FNG
If anyone would like tips or where to please ask. I grew up and live in Southern Iowa and going out west for the first time I under stand what local help means. Attached is last falls buck.
Hey Iowaguy,
Got 4 pref. points this year and after talking to friends with land out there in zone 5 I decided to cash them in this year. Long story short grand kids no longer want me bowhunting there. so now it looks like Iam hunting on public. Staying in Chariton. any help would be greatly appreciated.

wthunter

FNG
The guys who say there isn't much public ground in Iowa crack me up. There is plenty of it. Does it get pounded during shotgun season? Hell yes. But if you are talking archery, you are not going to have much of an issue with pressure. There are good places in both Units 4 and 5. The public in both units produce giants every year....it is just how hard you want to work for it. Both 4 and 5 have very large public hunting areas where you can get as far away from others as you want. There are also small little areas that can be just as good. Like county conservation areas or other types of small public areas.

Due to the explosion of popularity of unit 5, you would be hard pressed to find access to private ground, especially being an out of state guy. Unless you have a connection, simply knocking on doors will be tough. It can be done, but just remember you will likely be sharing that farm with everyone else who stopped and asked (essentially public ground). Leasing would be your best bet, but you really won't know the history of the farm.

If anyone is looking into zone 4, I might be able to help them out. Especially if you have elk connections ;)

wthunter

FNG
Hey Iowaguy,
Got 4 pref. points this year and after talking to friends with land out there in zone 5 I decided to cash them in this year. Long story short grand kids no longer want me bowhunting there. so now it looks like Iam hunting on public. Staying in Chariton. any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are on the right track. The White Breast watershed produces giants every year. Each year will vary, even on private ground. There is no 'silver bullet'. Just have to get out there and hunt. I know that sounds like generic advice, but when it comes to whitetails it is very true. They are all over down there, it just depends on what your expectations are, how much effort you put in, and how hard you are willing to hunt.

wthunter

FNG

You have picked the best days of the year in my opinion. I rather hunt the last 3 days of October than any days during the middle of November. The 14th-17th is the peak of breeding every year. If you don't have a hot doe near you, it makes for some long boring days watching squirrels.