Iowa non-resident hunting experiences

PA Bruce

FNG
You are on the right track. The White Breast watershed produces giants every year. Each year will vary, even on private ground. There is no 'silver bullet'. Just have to get out there and hunt. I know that sounds like generic advice, but when it comes to whitetails it is very true. They are all over down there, it just depends on what your expectations are, how much effort you put in, and how hard you are willing to hunt.
Was out there 4 years ago and had a great time seeing alot of nice bucks. That was on a friends farm. Now I will be hunting on public and that worries me. Was out in July was able to spend 1 day scouting around the Chariton area and found some spots that looked good. 1 place where I can get deep enough to get away from people and on the edge of private and another that might be over looked. I plan on coming out in Sept. to scout for a few day also.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iowaguy

FNG
Hey Iowaguy,
Got 4 pref. points this year and after talking to friends with land out there in zone 5 I decided to cash them in this year. Long story short grand kids no longer want me bowhunting there. so now it looks like Iam hunting on public. Staying in Chariton. any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is no good! Sorry that happened...I most definitely will help. What dates are you planning on hunting? What is your expectation? How do you hunt? I assume tree stand. I can point you in the right direction and I'll keep my eye out for good buck activity as the dove and duck season get underway, which is mostly on public.

Iowaguy

FNG
You are on the right track. The White Breast watershed produces giants every year. Each year will vary, even on private ground. There is no 'silver bullet'. Just have to get out there and hunt. I know that sounds like generic advice, but when it comes to whitetails it is very true. They are all over down there, it just depends on what your expectations are, how much effort you put in, and how hard you are willing to hunt.
Lol.... all true! White Breast is in my back yard and runs through family land. The bucks are some of the best that I have seen from previous years.

PA Bruce

FNG
That is no good! Sorry that happened...I most definitely will help. What dates are you planning on hunting? What is your expectation? How do you hunt? I assume tree stand. I can point you in the right direction and I'll keep my eye out for good buck activity as the dove and duck season get underway, which is mostly on public.
Sorry I can't PM you, not enough post yet! I could give you my email address if you would rather communicate that way. I will be hunting from 10/30 - 11/12. If I can afford it might try and come a few days earlier. Killed a 150" 10 point a few years ago and would love to kill something bigger than that. I would have no problem eating my tag if I did not get a shot at a nice buck. I have climbing and hang -on tree stands. Will be coming out to scout a few days in Sept. (20-23)
Hunted Colorado a few times many years ago - not sure if I could give you any info current enough to help you there. Hunted around Meeker.

Thanks in advance,

Jdpdive

FNG
I to am planning a trip to Iowa and would really appreciate someone giving me some advice on some stuff, such as zone preference out of 4,5,6 places to avoid , places to stay. Planing on hunting public land leaning towards zone 5 and would prefer to get as far from well populated areas as possible, hoping to cut down on hunting pressure. Thanks for any info.

Iowaguy

FNG
Sorry I can't PM you, not enough post yet! I could give you my email address if you would rather communicate that way. I will be hunting from 10/30 - 11/12. If I can afford it might try and come a few days earlier. Killed a 150" 10 point a few years ago and would love to kill something bigger than that. I would have no problem eating my tag if I did not get a shot at a nice buck. I have climbing and hang -on tree stands. Will be coming out to scout a few days in Sept. (20-23)
Hunted Colorado a few times many years ago - not sure if I could give you any info current enough to help you there. Hunted around Meeker.

Thanks in advance,
Hi,
Sounds like your scouting in July was productive. I'll give you my email below and I can give you more insight and see where you areas you picked out are.
We are hunting unit 22 for elk...not far from meeker. I do have questions about that!

[email protected]

Talk soon!

IAbowhntr

FNG
Private land permission will be tough, not an easy thing to gain even as a resident due to leases and outfitters. However as a NR you have monster opportunity on what little public ground we do have as it gets next to zero resident pressure outside of the des monies and Iowa city areas. And most of the public is so think that it turns people away, in turn growing big deer in those areas.

wthunter

FNG
Just curious how the Iowa NR guys did last season? It was one of the toughest seasons I can remember. The harvest was EXTREMELY late. There were as many big bucks around either, at least in my neck of the woods. Talked to many residents who had the same issue. I know EHD took a toll on some counties. Hopefully the out of state guys had good luck.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I drew zone 5 tags with 4 pts and saw a shooter every sit(140+) on public land. We decided to start our rut hunt on Nov 10th in hopes of avoiding the crowd that comes dow. Nov 1st. We only saw a handful of other guys parked on public while we were down there. We ended up going 1 for 2 on filling our tags. Definitely buying points again

Attachments

• 20191113_151311.jpg
    20191113_151311.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 278
My brother and I drew zone 5 tags with 4 pts and saw a shooter every sit(140+) on public land. We decided to start our rut hunt on Nov 10th in hopes of avoiding the crowd that comes dow. Nov 1st. We only saw a handful of other guys parked on public while we were down there. We ended up going 1 for 2 on filling our tags. Definitely buying points again
Nice buck, congratz!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dgaudi

FNG
Second the comments about the whitebreast watershed. It can be feast or famine year to year, but generally it produces some dandy bucks.

isu22andy

WKR
Ive bow hunted Iowa private ground for 10 years and never shot one that big . Not all ground is created equal . Congrats on a dandy though ! Id keep that area quiet If I were you lol

I am hunting 5 this year, planning on the last few days of oct to about the 12th of November. If have to maybe a return trip after thanksgiving
how did
your iowa trip
turn out, just curious because we should get drawn zone 5, this year

arlow

FNG
Hey guys,

FNG to rockslide. My buddy and I are sitting on 3 points. Buying the 4th this year then should be able to draw in 5 for 2021. Gameplan is to get out to scout a couple times, grab a small lease for a home base, hunt that and branch out to public land around it also. Bring a couple climbers, hang and hunt sets.

If anyone would like tips or where to please ask. I grew up and live in Southern Iowa and going out west for the first time I under stand what local help means. Attached is last falls buck.
My brother and I will get drawn this year and are most likely going to hunt public land in zone 5. We have been scouting for the last 3 years with about 5 trips total. I was wondering if anyone is willing to give us some more information on spot, tactics or ever good lease land in zone 5.

Jasekt

FNG
If anyone would like tips or where to please ask. I grew up and live in Southern Iowa and going out west for the first time I under stand what local help means. Attached is last falls buck.

This offer still available? I grew up out west and may be of some assistance if you are heading west again.

would you be willing to visit over the phone?
How did the western trip turn out?

Don’t know if this offer is still available. I grew up out west so I may be of assistance if you head west again.

Hey guys I know this is an older thread but I'm looking for some help and any information. Me and my brother are hoping to hunt Iowa this year late Muzzleloader season, what zone would be good to pursue as far as looking for a good density of state land and good deer population. In other words if it was you what zone would you try to get drawn for.
Any info would be greatly appreciated

dgaudi

FNG
Shoot me a PM and I’ll try to give you some perspectives on Iowa. I primarily hunt private but I have hunted public and have buddies that hunt public successfully.