Iowa Outfitter Recommendations?

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on southern Iowa whitetail deer outfitters. I have a few I've been in contact with, and am just looking at options right now. I would prefer first hand experience advice. Myself and a friend are looking at booking an archery hunt for the 2020 or 2021 season. We both have 5 preference points, so drawing a tag should not be an issue. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into some kind of pissing match about guided vs do-it-yourself hunts. For the record, I'm not a "rich guy"....but it has always been my dream to bowhunt Iowa, once in my life. I have killed mid 150s class bucks in my home state.... in my area, that is pretty much top end. I just want the chance, to be able to hunt where 200 inches walk. I have realistic expectations..... I don't EXPECT to kill a B & C class buck..... but I do expect that class of deer will exist in the area I'm hunting. Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

archer109

FNG
Not sure if your limited to southern Iowa but I have hunted with Iowa trophy Whitetails out of castana. It is run by Judd Cooney!! Sure have heard his name or two if read magazines a bunch. Has many articles. It is great conversation listening to stories over dinner. We are going every other year late season muzzy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Well, with the points I have accumulated, Southern Iowa seems like my best bet right now. It is usually at least a 4 point proposition to draw there. The points I've purchased were with that in mind. I have looked at Judd Cooney's website, and have mulled it over a little. So far, some that have really piqued my interest are Southwest Iowa Outfitters, Straightarrow Outfitters, and Buffalo County Outfitters, which is based out of Buffalo County Wisconsin, but has recently started an Iowa operation (He doesn't have a website for his Iowa setup, yet, but is working on it).

I just want a good, fair chase hunt. As far as I'm concerned, a whitetail, fair chase bow hunt is one of the biggest crap shoots out there.....very often, it is going to be a feast or famine thing... you can do every last thing right, on awesome ground, at the "perfect" time, and still not get it done. Time constraints are probably the biggest issue. I can bow hunt some of my favorite spots at home, and not see a deer within bow range for several sits (I don't bait, even though it is legal here, - ND), the country is so open, that I just resign myself to the fact that sooner or later it will happen. I know a 6 day hunt can go either way....so I'm trying to do my due diligence and pick the guy who will give me the best chance.

archer109

FNG
Judds hunts are good hunts. Haven’t done the bowhunts but sure be great setups. He has a lot of land

I and from Western ND myself

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Judds hunts are good hunts. Haven’t done the bowhunts but sure be great setups. He has a lot of land

I and from Western ND myself

I'm sure they are great hunts. His reputation is terrific. How have you done, as far as success, and sightings?

archer109

FNG
I have only been there once and that was last January. Sighting and opportunity was enuf for my dad and myself to be going back every other year. When we were in camp was a 150”5x5, a 160” 4x4 and a 189 nontypical that a buddy shot. My dad and myself are just too picky and go for around 160 or bigger.

I hunt nebraska and Kansas every year too and Iowa is by favorite by far. Tons of deer and an awesome atmosphere in the camp.

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I have only been there once and that was last January. Sighting and opportunity was enuf for my dad and myself to be going back every other year. When we were in camp was a 150”5x5, a 160” 4x4 and a 189 nontypical that a buddy shot. My dad and myself are just too picky and go for around 160 or bigger.

I hunt nebraska and Kansas every year too and Iowa is by favorite by far. Tons of deer and an awesome atmosphere in the camp.
Wow, sounds like a great hunt. I'm with you, I'm definitely hunting something bigger than I already have, personally. I can hunt 140 class bucks here, occasionally the odd bigger one....