iPhone Apps

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of you are using iPhone apps in your outdoor adventures, I have seen mention on here from time to time. I just got an iPhone 5, my first iPhone. Rather than trial and error I thought I would just ask all of you what apps you are using, likes? dislikes? Thanks.

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I have google earth and like it a lot. I also have strelok. It's a ballistic program. It's awesome. Other then that just the usual games and stuff

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We like listening to audiobooks in the evenings or if we get weathered in. Anyone with an AK library card can rent audiobooks through the listen alaska website and then play them on the overdrive media app. Wouldn't surprise me if other states similar programs...

With my iPhone 4S in airplane mode, and powered off except when we used it we listened to 15+ hours of audio on a sheep hunt last year and still came back with greater than 60%of battery life.

If you want to take your phone into the field without worry about damage from dropping or getting it wet, I can't say enough good things about the Lifeproof case...

J

jballa34

If you want to take your phone into the field without worry about damage from dropping or getting it wet, I can't say enough good things about the Lifeproof case...

The lifeproof case is definitely worth it, I am able to take my phone in places that I otherwise wouldn't. The only downfall that I ran into was that the screen protector scratches fairly easily. I just threw a cheap laminate screen protector over theirs and I haven't had a problem yet.

2ski

WKR
I know its an android app, it might be an iphone app to so it'd be worth checking, but the MT Parcel app(not sure if its MT or Montana) is sweet. Its a free app that you can use to find out the owner of a property. If you're on a dirt road, and see somewhere you want to hunt, you can start it up and it will show a map of where you are at and tell you the owner of that property. Sure beats knocking on doors to find out that they guy that owns that piece of land lives 20 miles away when you can find out from the app the owner's name, and then give him a call for permission.

If you fish, Navionics is a great app too. Its around $12 and shows underwater lake depths, if the lakes you fish are available in high def. surveys, contour depths are shown in one foot increments. Think of it as an underwater topo map. The only reason I bought a Lowrance handheld gps was its ability to take a Navionics chip. That chip cost me $150, now you can get the same program for a phone for $12.

I only have about three more weeks until my contract is up, and then its goodbye BB torch, hello S3.

2ski

WKR
Since you're NW MT, I will mention that the majority of the lakes in MT on Navionics are in the NW. Flathead is a high def survey, the rest could be anywhere from a few depth contours to alot more depending on the lake. Talking to Mike from A Able charters was pretty interesting. He mentioned that they found a lot of structure they didn't know about after Navionics did its survey. There's a ridge north of Wild Horse Island that they kind of knew about, but had no idea it was a big as it was.

Its a great tool for icefishing too if you don't have a boat.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if they have it for Iphone or not, but the Backcountry navigator app for Android is great. Basically a GPS with better maps, bigger/better screen and better proccesor. I like it more than my 60CSX. You can download the maps for free and use them without cell service. It also has maps you can pay a small fee for that have hunt boundaries and property boundaries in diferent states. The ariel maps are free too, and its easy to switch between maps. I use my old phone just for a gps. The wifi still works so I can still download maps.

GotMyTag

Banned
Unabashed plug for pointhunter. It is an app that keeps track of your points in 13 states. reminds you to apply.
from Gotmytag. Let me know what you think of it.