iPhone vs Samsung for using Hunting GPS apps

Hey guys,

I was looking to update a 7 year old smartphone and want to try using these new GPS apps on the new phone. I thought I read that the Gaia app works better with the iPhone. Any advice on what device to get if I'm looking to run some of these GPS apps? I have no experience with them and I'm not very tech savvy.

i will be upgrading this year .currently i have a goin on 9 year old Iphone 4s. ive used the GPS part of the free Antler Insanity app. im sure theres better but it does good for what i need. you could at least load it into your current phone and play around with it.

wapitibob

WKR
Basemap can have trouble tracking on some androids, onx has a problem with large amounts of user data on iPhones, I have not heard of any Gaia problems.

BaseMap

If you are looking at an iPhone, BaseMap has 3D mapping available for iOS devices. As for tracking on Android, it is a simple setting that needs to be turned on to use your location at all times with the app.

muddydogs

WKR
While I in no way think the Iphone is worth the money I did find out today why Onx has issues with keeping track up when moving or zooming the map on an android phone and that is it's not optimized for Android and works best with the Iphone. I like Onx enough I might have to down grade to the Iphone but I will wait until next year as Onx is supposed to be working on there Android programing.

I had nothing but problems with Gaia on my Android, not sure it's an Android thing and kind of think it was a Gaia deal not wanting to load maps or my waypoints. Once I dropped Gaia for Onx I realized that Onx was a way better product then Gaia.

Last week I was pissed at Onx for it's tracking issues and loaded Basemap to try but right away I found I would rather put up with the Onx issue then deal with Basemap. Basemap doesn't even attempted to do any track up navigation, screen kind of looks like a video game, extra clutter with the stupid gear drop deal along with the ads to purchase other products. I messed with it a couple times and dropped it, unfortunately it looks like I'm out the $30 I paid for the app but I'm rid of the deal so I guess that's ok.

A brand new, in the box, unlocked Samsung S7 Edge can be had for $200 on Ebay from reliable sellers. This was a $750+ phone just a couple years ago. It will do everything you need and more. And the Edge model has a 3,600 mAh battery that lasts all day.

Apple and Android both run almost any decent app.

Tucker65

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking at an iPhone, BaseMap has 3D mapping available for iOS devices. As for tracking on Android, it is a simple setting that needs to be turned on to use your location at all times with the app.
I'm a new Pro version user and had this problem yesterday. Where is this setting located in the app or in the phone itself. Phone is a Galaxy S10

BaseMap

I'm a new Pro version user and had this problem yesterday. Where is this setting located in the app or in the phone itself. Phone is a Galaxy S10

You will want to email us at [email protected] as I personally am not an Android user so I have zero clue where the setting would be. Most of our CS folks are Android people and can get it resolved for you quickly.

JoeDirt

WKR
I went with and Iphone only for the simple fact, more memory. I have 80 gigs of just maps.

Erict

WKR
I just bought an iPhone SE 2020 w/128 GB and use Gaia GPS with premium membership ($40/yr - all states). It works well. You may first want to decide what size screen you can live with for using these apps. Good luck.

Tucker65

Lil-Rokslider
You will want to email us at [email protected] as I personally am not an Android user so I have zero clue where the setting would be. Most of our CS folks are Android people and can get it resolved for you quickly.
How log does it usually take them to respond. I sent a message yesterday regarding my question.

Thanks John

as far as iphone or android that is up to you. It is kind of like asking what pack to use. You will get lots of answers and none are wrong or right, it is a personal fit thing. I use iphone, they will both run the gps apps fine. As far as the apps go I played around with ONX, BaseCamp and GAIA . This is another thing that is more of a personal decision. For me GAIA was the best app. I like it over the other 2 by a lot. It has all the hunting layers you will ever want and are continually updating them. I have had zero problems with GAIA.