Iridium go vs Garmin In-Reach - help please

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Over the next three years I have three guided back country hunts planned and need to solve my communications challenge. Many folks are doing the Garmin In-reach or Mini. But the Iridium GO is interesting as it looks like a global satellite hot spot I just run my I Phone from for calling, email and texting. Has anyone tried this approach? I imagine I can run a SIM or plan for just the month I'm hunting....

Cody_W

WKR
I have a Garmin Inreach Mini and have been extremely pleased with it. Link it to the phone and text away. No experience with the Iridium GO though. The Garmin Mini is only 3.5oz vs Iridium Go at 10.5oz if that means anything.

Brendan

WKR
If your phone craps out (happened to me one year) or you drop it and break it, you want a more durable primary communication device. My opinion: Get the inreach, not the mini, so it can stand on its' own. It's proven, great battery life, it just works. If you need voice, get or rent a satellite phone.

If your phone craps out (happened to me one year) or you drop it and break it, you want a more durable primary communication device. My opinion: Get the inreach, not the mini, so it can stand on its' own. It's proven, great battery life, it just works. If you need voice, get or rent a satellite phone.
I'm pretty sure the Mini is a stand alone, it's just not as user friendly when used that way.

Brendan

WKR
I'm pretty sure the Mini is a stand alone, it's just not as user friendly when used that way.

It may be, but at the end of the day we're talking a couple ounces for a more user friendly device and also navigation backup. At least at one point, the mini also had about half the battery life as the larger inreaches.

While the mini has a smaller battery it does seem to charge up faster for its capacity then the larger unit. It functions fine as an emergency device without a paired phone. Preset messages are easy. Non preset message without a phone are a pain in the rear. I personally would buy another mini in a heartbeat. Mine has even survived being run over by the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
There are pros and cons to both I’d say. Both are pretty decent systems in terms of signal strength and reliability. I have never failed to acquire a signal in reasonable time with either one (SPOT on the other hand is a different story!) It depends what you think you will do with it mostly, and what you want to spend. If you think you need to or want to make actual voice calls, or access internet data, send photos, etc, then iridium is the way to go. The plans are far more expensive though, with the basic plan costing just about the same as the highest unlimited inReach plan, and the unlimited with data going for about 4x more. Also, as others have noted, if your phone falls in the creek, none of it is going to do you much good. If you are just looking for basic text or email communication, contact with family and peace of mind etc, inReach would be my choice. Yes the device itself can be less user friendly, but the garmin earthmate app will pair it to your phone, so that you can type out texts or emails and send/receive them on the phone through the inReach system without ever having to touch it. It does not send or receive photos or data like you would get through iridium, but it does receive weather reports, send out tracking points etc. if you want, and will survive I dip in the river or fall from the horse. I hope that helps!

Brianb3

WKR
It may be, but at the end of the day we're talking a couple ounces for a more user friendly device and also navigation backup. At least at one point, the mini also had about half the battery life as the larger inreaches.

Mini works fine as a stand alone. Lost my phone deep in E Mt on a road hunt mule deer. Lost my phone while hiking to shoot from the road. With nothing else but my mini I was able to let my wife know I would be making it to my mother-in-law’s a day early for thanksgiving and also inform all my buddies I had a successful road hunt.

Side not it also work well 13 miles deep in the WA high country n 25 miles deep in the Frank.

I’ve had both. They’re fine no matter which you decide. I sold my Inreach for the mini. Won’t go back

hikenhunt

WKR
While the mini has a smaller battery it does seem to charge up faster for its capacity then the larger unit. It functions fine as an emergency device without a paired phone. Preset messages are easy. Non preset message without a phone are a pain in the rear. I personally would buy another mini in a heartbeat. Mine has even survived being run over by the truck.

I'm going to echo this. I use preset messages most of the time. I also keep it off most of the time unless I'm expecting a return message so I've never had a problem with the battery life.

corncob

WKR
I'm going to echo this. I use preset messages most of the time. I also keep it off most of the time unless I'm expecting a return message so I've never had a problem with the battery life.

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of using it as an emergency beacon? If I’m knocked unconscious or really messed up or somehow separated from it during a fall and can’t use it, I want someone to know where I am.

I have it set for 30 min tracking and I carry a tiny Anker battery pack in case it would chew threw battery. It usually lasts several days though.

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of using it as an emergency beacon? If I’m knocked unconscious or really messed up or somehow separated from it during a fall and can’t use it, I want someone to know where I am.

I have it set for 30 min tracking and I carry a tiny Anker battery pack in case it would chew threw battery. It usually lasts several days though.

I don’t think any of these function well as a tracking beacon over multiple days. I set a preset check in interval with my contacts and usually have it on a 6-12 hour track. If it’s on and you miss a check in it can be pinged which is a better solution than a track in my opinion.

If you’re that messed up the likelihood of getting rescued is abysmally low anyway.

Brendan

WKR
I've used the Inreach SE since 2014 - and leave it on all day every day as a tracking beacon. Works great and what it's designed for. I also send manual status check-ins morning and night as well.

Battery life has never been an issue, and I also like the larger units because of the ability to double as a GPS for navigation backup.

hikenhunt

WKR

Possibly if you're hunting by yourself and you don't have a buddy with you that can call it in. I'd argue that checking in at regular intervals (which also gives location) would be safer, because how long will you be sending your tracking info before someone knows something is up?

corncob

WKR
Possibly if you're hunting by yourself and you don't have a buddy with you that can call it in. I'd argue that checking in at regular intervals (which also gives location) would be safer, because how long will you be sending your tracking info before someone knows something is up?

I guess that still seems a little optimistic to me for emergency purposes. I can understand @Whiskey_Fish 's perspective where he keeps it on but doesn't send a track (relying on a missed check-in and the subsequent ping to locate him - please make sure you have that option for users to locate you turned on in Mapshare!), as it might save battery life and might be cheaper. However, turning it off unless you're in trouble seems silly.

Even when I hunt with a buddy, there are still times when we split up to attack an objective or scout an area. We always have a meeting point set up, and generally it's not far. But folks do get turned around (or "I just thought I saw something go over the ridge so I wanted to peek over", etc) and even if they are within a 1/2 mile, that can still be almost impossible to find it tough terrain (especially with a fall). To each their own, of course, but that almost nullifies the of the reasons I got the inReach in the first place.

I guess that still seems a little optimistic to me for emergency purposes. I can understand @Whiskey_Fish 's perspective where he keeps it on but doesn't send a track (relying on a missed check-in and the subsequent ping to locate him - please make sure you have that option for users to locate you turned on in Mapshare!), as it might save battery life and might be cheaper. However, turning it off unless you're in trouble seems silly.

Even when I hunt with a buddy, there are still times when we split up to attack an objective or scout an area. We always have a meeting point set up, and generally it's not far. But folks do get turned around (or "I just thought I saw something go over the ridge so I wanted to peek over", etc) and even if they are within a 1/2 mile, that can still be almost impossible to find it tough terrain (especially with a fall). To each their own, of course, but that almost nullifies the of the reasons I got the inReach in the first place.

I think the reasoning behind the device is a valid point here. I got it about 80% to keep my wife informed of my progress and general position when solo. Depending on the goings on at home we may text more, sometimes not at all. We’ll have a 10 week old infant at the start of archery season this year so it’ll get a workout....

If I have a catastrophic injury I think the likelihood of the inReach bailing me out is slim to none. I understand and accept that risk. I know that’s not the main reason a lot of people buy one, but SAR isn’t exactly a fast process even close to developed trails. If you lose consciousness or the ability to push that button deep in the mountains you’ve got bigger fish to fry.

corncob

WKR
I think the reasoning behind the device is a valid point here. I got it about 80% to keep my wife informed of my progress and general position when solo. Depending on the goings on at home we may text more, sometimes not at all. We’ll have a 10 week old infant at the start of archery season this year so it’ll get a workout....

If I have a catastrophic injury I think the likelihood of the inReach bailing me out is slim to none. I understand and accept that risk. I know that’s not the main reason a lot of people buy one, but SAR isn’t exactly a fast process even close to developed trails. If you lose consciousness or the ability to push that button deep in the mountains you’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Congrats on your upcoming (I think my math is right here) baby!

I completely get the reasoning behind the inReach being the least of your problems if something major happens. I guess I would still want my family to be able to find my body instead of just thinking I went missing, which your standard MO of leaving it on would do. I guess I just don't understand why some folks turn it off - is there a downside to leaving it on?

Dealing with battery chargers on longer trips. That's all I could think of.

And you are correct. July is fast approaching!

Over the next three years I have three guided back country hunts planned and need to solve my communications challenge. Many folks are doing the Garmin In-reach or Mini. But the Iridium GO is interesting as it looks like a global satellite hot spot I just run my I Phone from for calling, email and texting. Has anyone tried this approach? I imagine I can run a SIM or plan for just the month I'm hunting....
If voice is needed rent an Iridium Go! Jus google that.
I use a Garmin Explorer+ when I’m in the backcountry. I have unlimited messaging. There are plans to choose from but with that said, the hardware is cheaper, it’s rock solid, the plans are cheaper and to me voice can be overrated unless you are by yourself. When your hurt messaging can be a joke.
What did you choose as I am a little late to the comments? And how did it work? I’m not sure what Iridium Go! offers but Garmin inReach offers some coverage for accidents. It’s not from them but when you signup you get options for $100,00 for two occurrences and it only costs a little less than $18. Then there is the option to buy another coverage. You can be flown from any hospital you are at to the hospital of your choice. It’s like $127/year. How cheap is that!