Irish Whiskey

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Since there was a post about Scotch, figured I'd get some suggestions on Irish Whiskey. I usually save my Scotch for when I have a good friend(s) over, or when I need to simply ponder life. Usually smoke my pipe with it too. But my go to "daily drinker", well not quite daily, usually a couple drinks a week, is Irish Whiskey on the rocks, easy ice. My go to recently has been Proper Twelve, which I actually like better than Jameson. Right now I'm trying to finish up a bottle of Jameson Black, just finished a Proper Twelve, but looking to try something different. I've had Bushmills red and black, which are ok, I really liked the Teeling finished in rum casks, you really get that sweet rum hints in there. Been wanting to try Slane, but haven't yet. Any other suggestions out there?

I got a handful of whiskeys and bourbons in the cabinet but I think the only Irish one is Tullamore Dew. With so many choices out there, I rarely buy the same bottle twice.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bourbon drinker but I do enjoy Irish whiskey. The Irish whiskey that I go through the most is Jameson Caskmate Stout. I drink it neat and also make cold brew Irish coffee with it.

When my wife and I were in Ireland a couple years ago we picked up 2 bottles of Jameson Crested, 2 Bushmills Distillery Reserve, and a small bottle of Poitin (irish moonshine) that we bought on the side of the road during our Ring of Kerry tour. Unfortunately you Jameson Crested you can't get in the US, but it is much better than regular Jameson for $5 more. If you are able to get a friend to bring some back to you it is a fantastic whiskey for the price. The Bushmills Distillery Reserve you can only get at the distillery, and it is tasty.

I have some Sexton and Proper 12 which are both meh to me.

I'm not a Irish whiskey drinker, but I told a buddy of mine I would buy him a good irish whiskey if he would come with to haul out elk if we get one. Which in my case the means taking off work for 10 days and driving 20 hour to the elk mountains. The best bottle recommended to me was Egans.

Attachments

• 20201226_164416.jpg
    20201226_164416.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 29
I've been sipping on Kilbeggan lately, and thoroughly enjoy it.

The jameson caskmates with Revolution Brewing was very good as well.

slvrslngr

WKR
I’ve got these 2 in my stash at the moment. The Clonakilty is excellent, haven’t opened the West Cork, but I have high hopes for it. As previously mentioned, get some Red Breast 12 and/or RB 15. Knappogue Castle is worth trying as well.

Attachments

• 4B41243E-F7DF-4BAC-8721-EC83574A4D05.jpeg
    4B41243E-F7DF-4BAC-8721-EC83574A4D05.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 20

Wapiti1

WKR
For Irish, I'll put in the 23rd vote for Red Breast. That is a style I don't have a lot of mileage with, but like that one when I had it. I've only had the other common ones in the USA like Jameson and Bushmills. They're good, but not exceptional.

Jeremy