Irish Wilderness in MO

BertDaKat

FNG
Has anyone hunted the Irish Wilderness on the Mark Twain? I live near there, and I think next weekend I'll get down there to do some scouting/hiking. I plan to hunt it during general gun, or during alternate methods season. This is only my second deer season, but I am fairly competent with backpacking. I will also be calling down to the Doniphan office of the FS for any good entry spots that aren't the main trailhead into the area.

Thanks in advance for any advice or better ideas!

Jakeemt

FNG
I will be there this Friday through Tuesday for firearms deer season. I have done 5 days here in the past as well. It’s beautiful country. My preference is to access it via the river on a canoe. The outfitter huffstedler canoe rental is closed during firearms season but for archery they will drive you up river and you can drop your vehicle in the put out. I have a killed a hog and a deer here in the past. Saw turkeys and coyotes too. It was essentially without pressure last I went I October but, I imagine that changes significantly during firearms. If you want someone to go with next year shoot me a pm and we’ll trade numbers and see if we can make something work. Always looking to share an adventure!

jake

OP
B

BertDaKat

FNG
Good to hear, hope you got something!

Your advice mirrors what other people have told me. I've encountered a few deer while wade fishing the 11pt this year. I may hunt down that way for antlerless or alternative methods this year.

I'm moving to Colorado next year, but if you want to do any winter fishing, late season hunting/hiking let me know!