Iron will broadheads setup

Hey Guys i an new to rockslide, but i am thinking about using Iron Will broadheads wide cut this year. I shoot a Mathews Triax, 29.5 draw 70lbs
I shot gold tip airstrike 340s with 100gn grim reaper whitetail pros. I loved the way they flew, speed was great, but i want to shoot somthing a little heavier and stronger arrow wise. But i am thinking about going back to fix blades.So I am looking for any advice on arrows, spine, weight, inserts, collars ect...What are your setup primarily guys that are shooting Iron Will broadheads, as these will be my choice of broadheads this year.
Also the price is not an issue, so i want the best gear.
Thanks Guys for any info

HuntWyld

WKR
300 VAP elites with 110gr ethics outsert and s100 iron wills. Packs a mean punch but whatever you decide, really can’t go wrong with iron wills they fly true and penetrate well. Had an elk this year hard quartering too, entered near front shoulder and exited out opposing rear ham.

OP
SavedByGrace2001
Awesome thanks for the info, what do you think about the new iron will wide, i know they are new so i imagine not many people have tested them yet.

HuntWyld

WKR
I think the wides are more aimed at the trad guys or tree stand hunters. It’s going to give up some penetration and not fly as good at far distances, close up it’ll leave a big hole I’m sure. I like to have the option to shoot a ways so the solids work good for me.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Shooting a 27 3/8” 5mm FMJ 340, Blazer vanes and standard HIT inserts. Use the BAR and it all weighs in at 495 and paper tunes perfectly with the V100.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
29.5” Axis 260 with HIT 50 grain insert, iron will collar and s100s up front. Arrow wrap, 3 max stealth and nockturnal X nock in rear. Think total arrow weight is around 560, it’s a hammer. Passed through everything I’ve used it on, most notably zipped right through a 1100lbs bison at 38 yards. They are great heads. Also, no adjustments between shooting my field tips and broad heads at 0-60 yards.

OP
SavedByGrace2001
Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate it.
Any info or tips are appreciated, what total weight should I be looking for and how much foc? I am thinking of using iron wills collar and inserts. What's the thought on that guys. Thanks

Marble

WKR
Just going to a 300 spine in what you are shooting, or an axis, plus 125 head would probably give you 50 extra grains. You can also add weight too.

Just going to a 300 spine in what you are shooting, or an axis, plus 125 head would probably give you 50 extra grains. You can also add weight too.

I am still playing with it but my bow is a similar spec to yours. Added a 50 grain insert and another 25 grains to the head via an iron will dollar this year. Dropped from 340 carbon express to 300 spine axis and liking the prelim results so far.

The wide iron will heads seem to give up some flight stability at distance. I am still testing but looking at the solids if I go iron will. Quieter and better flight seem to mean more than a little bit of extra cutting width based on what I have read.

I’m shooting the regular Ironwill heads. I’m shooting a 480 grain arrow. They fly very well. And are badass broadheads.

what type of critter are you hunting?

nphunter

WKR
With your current setup, you should be shooting right around 330fps with those air strike arrows, that estimates based off your bows IBO and the specs on that arrow, it should weigh about 360gr with a 100gr tip give or take 10gr depending on length and type of fletchings.

IMO you will want to get down below 300fps to shoot a fixed head accurately and around 280fps or slower to shoot a wide cut head accurately. To get to 280fps you would need approx. a 535gr arrow, building an arrow that heavy you will be able to build an arrow with high FOC and great durability. I would personally go with something like an Easton Axis 300 with an IW or Brass 75gr insert and 25gr IW Impact collar, that arrow would come in right at 530gr with an X nock and blazer vanes with no wrap and a 100gr head. Using the 100gr head will give you way more options for heads, that arrow has a 16% FOC which is a good number as well.

You will lose a ton of trajectory dropping 50fps but gain a pile of momentum and your bow will be much quieter. The only way I would shoot a fixed head is if I were planning on hunting somewhere like ID where they are required. There are so many great durable expandables these days that you can easily use with no issues hunting any animal in NA with great success. I personally use a Rage Trypan for elk here in OR and an IW S100 for elk and Deer in ID where expandables are illegal. I ended up building a 500gr arrow for my bow which isn't as fast as yours due to my 27.5" draw length, the reason I ended up at 500grs is because that is what put me at 285fps which is about the threshold that I can get good quality fixed heads to constantly group at 80 yards, I could get small heads like IW and Solid heads to group shooting 315fps but they were so finicky and form dependent that I didn't have great confidence in that setup. Dropping the speed will make a huge difference in long-range accuracy with a fixed head.

If ID ever decides to make expandables legal I will drop back down to a 450gr arrow at around 300fps, I feel like I would still have plenty of energy to push the expandable through an elk but gain a little of my trajectory back for those times when I miss range, the animals move or I don't have time to range before a shot.

OP
SavedByGrace2001
Thanks for the info, i like the large cutting diameter of Mechanical broadheads and how well they fly, but i hit a 150 buck on state land this year and caught the shoulder and never got him. Not the broadheads fault for shot placement, but i want something that will punch through the shoulder if something like that happens again.
I am thinking about you shooting victory Vap Elites or vap tko. Most likely 300spine.
What are your thoughts on those arrows?

Hey Guys i an new to rockslide, but i am thinking about using Iron Will broadheads wide cut this year. I shoot a Mathews Triax, 29.5 draw 70lbs
I shot gold tip airstrike 340s with 100gn grim reaper whitetail pros. I loved the way they flew, speed was great, but i want to shoot somthing a little heavier and stronger arrow wise. But i am thinking about going back to fix blades.So I am looking for any advice on arrows, spine, weight, inserts, collars ect...What are your setup primarily guys that are shooting Iron Will broadheads, as these will be my choice of broadheads this year.
Also the price is not an issue, so i want the best gear.
Thanks Guys for any info
300 spine Axis match grade, cut about 28" C to C, 50gr brass HITs, elk river archery footer, 125gr iron will. I shot a triax at 70lbs for a season, and a similar arrow I described, just a little more weight up front. that arrow would give you moderate weight and a super strong arrow throughout... nocks are a consideration too, I like Easton nocks or fire nocks.... if shooting lighted, then firenock (they are a great nock without the light setup)

another option is the iron will HIT insert and stainless collar if you do go with Axis. I haven't used his components yet, but I know Bill wouldn't make something that wasn't top shelf.

the wides would be an option. i'm getting a pack of them for my compound, but will stick to standards for my recurve, where you need to eek out every bit or performance possible. i'm also gonna get some Valkyrie blood eagles to try with my recurve, and maybe compound (gonna shoot the same head weight for both regardless)

lots of good options these days for building a great arrow/head combo

Marble

WKR
I am still playing with it but my bow is a similar spec to yours. Added a 50 grain insert and another 25 grains to the head via an iron will dollar this year. Dropped from 340 carbon express to 300 spine axis and liking the prelim results so far.

The wide iron will heads seem to give up some flight stability at distance. I am still testing but looking at the solids if I go iron will. Quieter and better flight seem to mean more than a little bit of extra cutting width based on what I have read.
I'll be going to a 300 spin also. I had 200 up front last year and they shot better groups at 40 then 20. Just needed some more spine I I beleive.

HoytHntr4

WKR
If you listen to podcasts, Kifarucast just had Bill on talking about his new wide heads that just came out. Its a good listen with lots of info that may help you decide

nphunter

WKR
I personally wouldn’t go with a 4mm shaft, outserts suck and deep six is a PITA and limits your head choice. I shoot both injections and VAP elites and am very happy I dumped all that stuff and ended up with a 5mm shaft being able to shoot whichever heads I chose.

As far as breaching bone I really don’t feel like arrow diameter will matter at all only arrow flight and weight matters for penetration. You will defiantly be better off with a good fixed COC head like the IW for penetration no doubt. The smaller IW will out penetrate and fly more accurate than the larger version which is why IW ended up with those specs in the first place.

Thanks for the info, i like the large cutting diameter of Mechanical broadheads and how well they fly, but i hit a 150 buck on state land this year and caught the shoulder and never got him. Not the broadheads fault for shot placement, but i want something that will punch through the shoulder if something like that happens again.
I am thinking about you shooting victory Vap Elites or vap tko. Most likely 300spine.
What are your thoughts on those arrows?