Iron Will Broadheads

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. One day closer to hunting season. Much closer for some who live in different parts of this country. So for elk, what are your thoughts on Iron Will Broadheads? I am not concerned about cost. Not a problem here thankfully. I typically shoot 125grain broadheads. Do they fly true, stay sharp, perform when needed, etc? Pros and cons? Just let me know what you think. Thanks

HuntWyld

WKR
I’ve been shooting them all summer into a rinehart target. They group with my field points and shoot better at long distance like 80 yards than any other fixed blade I’ve tried. The head I’ve been shooting with for practice still seems just as sharp as the day I got it. I am very impressed with them so far and am excited to see what happens this elk season. If money is not a factor I don’t think you could go wrong.

KHNC

WKR
Saw nothing but good results from Iron Will heads. A buddy uses them.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
so out of curiosity if they were needing to be sharpened would you let a local knife person do it or send them back to Iron Will?

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I would simply order the carbide sharpener and maintenance kit on the website. You can easily carry both of these items with you to camp. There are also some good You Tube videos for sharpening the Iron Will heads using an angled guide and sandpaper taped to a piece of glass.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
would you recommend adding their impact collars or inserts as part of the arrow setup? Currently my whole setup is around 362 grains I believe. I shoot a gold tip hunter pro series arrow. I just have so many because I happened to catch a local sporting goods store going out of business one time so. Any suggestions. I shoot the new vertex (ix) and a prime. I thought about going up in weight of setup but didn't want to have to adjust sights and everything again.

would you recommend adding their impact collars or inserts as part of the arrow setup? Currently my whole setup is around 362 grains I believe. I shoot a gold tip hunter pro series arrow. I just have so many because I happened to catch a local sporting goods store going out of business one time so. Any suggestions. I shoot the new vertex (ix) and a prime. I thought about going up in weight of setup but didn't want to have to adjust sights and everything again.

Iron Wills would be a great choice if cost is not a factor.

Honestly, I would worry less about the broadhead choice and more about bumping your weight up to at least over 400 total grains. Closer to 450 would be even better. Adjusting your sights, tuning your arrow and possibly buying new heavier shafts is not nearly as much of a pain as tracking and eventually losing an elk because you didn't get enough penetration due to a light arrow setup.

HuntWyld

WKR
Use the impact collars they will add 25 grains to the front but will keep the front of the arrow from blowing apart on impact. I’ve hit all sorts of stuff and bent field points but arrow stays intact up front. Look for a good smaller diameter arrow like Liberty VAP or Easton Hexx just make sure you spine correctly for the added up front weight.

I guess I could always go up in the broadhead area or what is recommended you think

That's entirely dependent on if your arrow spine can support the increased head or collar weight. Look at a spine chart and see if that's the case based on you arrow's length and stiffness. If your arrow is not stiff enough to support the increased weight up front, get some new arrows that are stiffer.

I agree with above mentioned in getting your weight up. As ridgeghost mentioned, make sure your arrow spine is matched to what you are shooting. As easton axis is a tremendous arrow that is durable. Not sure what lbs and draw length you are shooting but as heavy of an arrow you can shoot but still in that 270-280fps will do wonders for tune-ability.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Started shooting them this summer. I have been impressed so far. Shoot with field points out to 70 without making any adjustements. Havent gone further with them yet. I have 2 practice heads and shoot one with each group. They are no longer hunting sharp but still sharp enough to cut you. Have not tried to sharpen them yet.

Good day everyone. One day closer to hunting season. Much closer for some who live in different parts of this country. So for elk, what are your thoughts on Iron Will Broadheads? I am not concerned about cost. Not a problem here thankfully. I typically shoot 125grain broadheads. Do they fly true, stay sharp, perform when needed, etc? Pros and cons? Just let me know what you think. Thanks
They fly great, hold a great edge and cut through a animal like a hot knife through butter.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, your way too light. Build some new arrows and get your bow and sight dialed in. For elk I’d shoot for 450+. Victory RIP TKO or Vap Tko. You may need to add fletch wrap and shoot 125 up front. But look for an arrow that’s 9.5 gpi or heavier and u should get there.

Btaylor

WKR
You might try adding the 25 grain collar and a 20 grain lighted nock. That would bump your TAW up 45 grains to around 407 if your current set up is actually. That change should keep your dynamic spine close to the same as your current setup as far as tune goes. 45 grains will change your sights though especially as you move back in distance.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So I just ordered a 2dozen of the vap tko sport shafts that I found on sale on camofire. About to order some new fletching and a friend of mine is putting together a list as far as inserts,etc. I am also going up to 150 grain on the Iron Will Broadhead. I have a bow I can dedicate to elk or big game only if needed. So I am going to start from scratch and build up a few arrows and see how they fly. I have until next hunting season to work the bugs out so we will see.