Iron Will Broadheads

I shot my bull this year at 20 yards, hit a lung and pretty sure it hit a rib and went through the liver. He went about 90 yards and was done. My broadhead was an Iron Will solid 150 grain. A guy in my camp said that I should be shooting a wider broadhead and that the head I was using was too small. I see no reason to change my set-up. I didn’t get into an argument and just kind of took the high road in response to the comment. I’m thrilled with the performance of what the head accomplished. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow

FNG
Shot mine this year with a IW Solid 100. Zipped through like hot butter. Bull made it 42 yards and expired. I can see why one might make an argument for a larger cutting diameter, but if you put about any sharp modern broadhead through the triangle, good things usually happen quickly.

Easy to have opinions these days. Careful who you listen to.

Wrench

WKR
Every design does something better and worse than the rest. A wide head is going to increase potential for blood loss....but at the expense of impact energy necessary to penetrate. A 3 blade might offer more blood....but they also might need more to make the ride.

Not many complain about iron will performance.

Finally put an arrow in a bull this month tipped with IW 125 grain regular width broadhead. 20 yard pass through, double lung. Went 40 yards and piled up. Dead in 1.5 minutes.

I think what he means is you need a much wider broadhead for much less penetration and much harder tracking.

Bump79

WKR
There is not a one size fits all solution for broadheads. Several many factors to consider. What is your arrow weight and speed?

If you are pushing 70# & 30" out of a modern compound then sure shoot a wider 3 or 4 blade. No reason not to. If you have a 26' draw and 60# out of a slower bow you probably should consider shooting a 2 blade with heavier arrow weight.

MT257

WKR
Would a wider head make that elk any deader? Did you not accomplish your goal? Freezer is full right? Only went 90 yards? Not sure how you can make a case against the head failing?

I have had great results with regular Iron Wills. I did try the wides - did not fly as a well, less tolerant of form. No noticeable difference on blood trail either.

I will be sticking with the IW regulars

GotDraw?

WKR
The energy required to penetrate something probably increases at a square of the surface area, all things equal.

So, you could get wider broadheads but the longer the shot and the slower your arrow, the more you risk not being able to bust through a rib or shoulder. Take your choice. Yes, a bigger hole will kill a little faster, but if you're hunting larger game than whitetail, then better to go for penetration.

There is a helluva lot of real engineering and scientific testing that's gone into Iron Will broadheads. I doubt you'll find another broadhead with anywhere near the amount of R&D that Bill V has done.

Drawing 55lbs or so, I shot completely through a Yukon bull moose 2x in 20 seconds at 40 and 30 yards. One of those arrows split a 2" sapling in two after the pass through and the other traveled over 10 yards through scrub/grass. He was dead in 60 yds. Probable 2x+ times the amount of blodd in an elk had drained into his lungs and chest. Gallons.

I'm sold.

JL

Like other people said there is trade offs for bigger broadhead blades. I would prefer better penetration with the iron wills. I have had good luck so far using them

WMag338

WKR
My Iron Will 100 grain solid zipped through my bull and buried in the ground on the other side. Bull piled up 20 yards away and was expired in 10 minutes. Never tried the wides. Why switch with results like that? I regularly shoot at 100 yards. I have to watch my fletchings because the Iron Wills will cut the fletchings off my field point arrows if im not careful even at 100 yards. They fly that good. Completely silent in flight also.

fatlander

WKR
This year my iron will v100 severed a herd bulls spine while on its way to passing completely through. I put another one in his lungs and he was dead in 15 seconds. Can’t see how a wider head would have done anything but worse for me. I’ll never tote anything else but those standard size IW heads elk hunting.

You can have 1 big hole, or two medium holes. Everything is give and take. I like having 2 holes.