Iron Will Collars

Lawnboi

WKR
The collar already saved an arrow.

Switching sites today and sent one over the target into a fake Christmas tree. Field point flattened, no splintering or mushrooming on the end of the arrow.

Chris Dunlap from Elk River Archery sells some as well. They will need to be epoxied on though. I’ve heard they dramatically fix the weakpoint on the Easton x hit inserts.

Do these get hung up in the Morrell bag style targets?

Yes, they do. Some shots worse than others. If you've got field points that are fatter than the collars, that helps because they make a bigger hole. When mine get stuck, here is my process for getting them out.

1) Yank hard and fast. That gets most of them. If that doesn't work...
2) Pull up and out at about a 70 degree angle. This allows part of the collar lip to get out of the weave. If that doesn't work...
3) Push hard and then pull hard and fast. A couple times. If that doesn't work...
4) Twist the arrow CLOCKWISE while pulling outward. If that doesn't work...
5) Kick the target while simultaneously jerking the arrow out.

My Yellow Jacket target revealed a poorly epoxied HIT insert done by, presumably, a new guy at my local pro shop. I pulled the arrow and found a shiny brass insert staring at me, which I had to use vise grips to get out. Since I re-epoxied it myself I've had no issues. Also, keep in mind that I've slung a couple thousand collared shots into bag targets and I've never had to do anything destructive to the bag or arrow to get it out, even when they were really stuck. Anyone planning on epoxying their collars might consider taking a pick or toothpick and applying a hair of epoxy around the lip of the collar to act as a ramp for getting the collar out of the bag weave. I may try that with hot melt, but these collars are too expensive to me for them not to be reusable.

nphunter

WKR
Yes, they do. Some shots worse than others. If you've got field points that are fatter than the collars, that helps because they make a bigger hole. When mine get stuck, here is my process for getting them out.

1) Yank hard and fast. That gets most of them. If that doesn't work...
2) Pull up and out at about a 70 degree angle. This allows part of the collar lip to get out of the weave. If that doesn't work...
3) Push hard and then pull hard and fast. A couple times. If that doesn't work...
4) Twist the arrow CLOCKWISE while pulling outward. If that doesn't work...
5) Kick the target while simultaneously jerking the arrow out.

My Yellow Jacket target revealed a poorly epoxied HIT insert done by, presumably, a new guy at my local pro shop. I pulled the arrow and found a shiny brass insert staring at me, which I had to use vise grips to get out. Since I re-epoxied it myself I've had no issues. Also, keep in mind that I've slung a couple thousand collared shots into bag targets and I've never had to do anything destructive to the bag or arrow to get it out, even when they were really stuck. Anyone planning on epoxying their collars might consider taking a pick or toothpick and applying a hair of epoxy around the lip of the collar to act as a ramp for getting the collar out of the bag weave. I may try that with hot melt, but these collars are too expensive to me for them not to be reusable.

Might try getting a foam target:) The whole reason to get a bag over foam is ease of pulling the arrows.

Might try getting a foam target:) The whole reason to get a bag over foam is ease of pulling the arrows.

I figured it was for the cost...my bag target ran me $40, a similarly sized quality foam target would be closer to $140...

I've never shot these into a high quality foam target, but I have shot them into a low quality, layered foam target, and they were excruciating to remove. Every. Single. One.

PredatorX

WKR
They pull easier with the collars on then off when shooting into my rhinoblock. That SOB wants to hang on to your arrow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
I really want to try these out. The thoughts of having trouble removing them from a bag target has me a little bit spooked. The idea of a very small amount of glue on the back end to serve as a ramp really should make them easier to pull from a bag Target. If I go this route I'll be sure to report back. I may even just do one arrow and see how it does......

Just my random thoughts.

PGohil
Wv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BDT60x

FNG
I have ran the 300 axis arrows for the last couple years. the first year i ran the BAR's. Last year i used the footings from rayzor-vpa and was very happy with them. Recently got some of the iron will collars and have started to test with them. overall very happy so far. They are slightly smaller diameter than the rayzor-vpa collars and depending on what broad head they streamline the head to arrow a little better.

nphunter

WKR
I really want to try these out. The thoughts of having trouble removing them from a bag target has me a little bit spooked. The idea of a very small amount of glue on the back end to serve as a ramp really should make them easier to pull from a bag Target. If I go this route I'll be sure to report back. I may even just do one arrow and see how it does......

Just my random thoughts.

PGohil
Wv

They defiantly aren't hard enough to pull that i would sway someone away from shooting them. If they were you could always just shoot the regular arrow with a 125gr field point and then put a 100gr broadhead and collar on for hunting season.

Screw a 5/16 head onto an axis and shoot it into a bag, it will be similar to get out, probably harder.

Pgohil

WKR
Lol I'm shooting 125's now! And from experience, 5/16 field points are a bugger for sure!

If I got them, it would take me from a 460 great arrow to a 485 plus have a better FOC. With a short draw length, I need all the help I can get.

They defiantly aren't hard enough to pull that i would sway someone away from shooting them...Screw a 5/16 head onto an axis and shoot it into a bag, it will be similar to get out, probably harder.

Agree 100%, especially once you've "broken in" your bag target a bit. I have waaaay more trouble pulling my fat field points out of my bag than I do my iron will collars.

nphunter

WKR
Well I tested an impact collar today. Forgot to set my housing back on my slider and shot low at 50. Arrow went into the dirt under the target and impacted a big rock. The filed tip snapped and it hit hard enough that it split to collar and impacted the corner of it on the rock.

I heated up the hot melt and pulled the collar when I got home and to my surprise, the arrow still looked very good. Right where the collar spit the fibers delaminated a little but after getting the broken tip out I was able to slide another collar on and will be able to continue shooting the arrow.

Without the collar, the arrow would be junk. I’m shooting a 490gr arrow from a 77lb.