Iron Will Components- Stainless Steel vs. Titanium

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with Iron will titanium inserts and collars? I'm building my fist set of arrows and I'm going back and forth on what material to use.
Is one stronger than the other?
Are there any noticeable differences besides weight?

For all practical purposes, they're equally strong. The titanium options just allow you to shave off a few grains if you're trying to keep things light.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
For all practical purposes, they're equally strong. The titanium options just allow you to shave off a few grains if you're trying to keep things light.
Will the sleeves work with other broadheads, or just theirs?

Will the sleeves work with other broadheads, or just theirs?
Iron Will impact collars (I assume that's what you mean by sleeves) will work with any broadhead. The collars slip over the outside of the arrow. They're available in multiple size and need to be matched to the OD of your particular arrow.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Iron Will impact collars (I assume that's what you mean by sleeves) will work with any broadhead. The collars slip over the outside of the arrow. They're available in multiple size and need to be matched to the OD of your particular arrow.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Bump79

WKR
I agree with @Mighty Mouse there is little practically gained. Personally, I'd use the Ti and put that weight elsewhere as long as it's adding strength.. I don't do foc just for focs sake.

If you look at the material properties for 17-4 PH and Grade 5 Ti the 17-4 is stronger (yield strength) by 42%. That said, a collar really doesn't need that much strength as it just reinforcing the carbon to transfer the force and keep the broadhead from damaging the shaft. A lot of people don't even run collars but they make me feel more confident.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with @Mighty Mouse there is little practically gained. Personally, I'd use the Ti and put that weight elsewhere as long as it's adding strength.. I don't do foc just for focs sake.

If you look at the material properties for 17-4 PH and Grade 5 Ti the 17-4 is stronger (yield strength) by 42%. That said, a collar really doesn't need that much strength as it just reinforcing the carbon to transfer the force and keep the broadhead from damaging the shaft. A lot of people don't even run collars but they make me feel more confident.
Would you recommend the Ti insert as well and adding the extra weight into the broadhead/field point? That's how I'm leaning, but I can't find much on the strength//durability of Ti inserts.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
@Bill V
Just realized you're on here. Would you say your Ti collars and inserts have similar strength/durability characteristics to your stainless steel collars and inserts, or would I be sacrificing some strength/durability for less weight.
Thanks!