Iron Will entry/exit & blood trails

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Muley Freak posted a video showing a mule deer shot at 51 yards with an Iron Will v100 a few days ago, double shoulder bone complete arrow pass through, hit one lung (hit forward of near side lung and hit far side). I think they said it ran 80 or 100 yards and dropped, lots of blood. Here is the link:

Physiology front and center.
Here's the deal. In no way can you control, nor figure out, nor assess the blood trail quality on any shot.
Ever, never, and you never will. So OCD and control freaks, hang on man!!!!

Your critters are literally made of layers, skin, fat, meat on top of ribs, then ribs, the intracostal space between the ribs is actually two layers working in opposite directions so the animals and humans can Inhale and Exhale. Literally a set of bellows. There's some of the little layers of internal "silver skin" inside the ribs..you know, you rip it off when you BBQ (on pigs anyway)
Oh man, then....bones rarely break out of the way, they get cut and pop back into place, covered by layers, etc.
Interally, if you hit a major artery or cut the top of the aorta off, center punch the heart, etc. the blood pressure is maximum. It can get crazy, but not always because the layers might plug it up.
However, with a bilateral pneumothorax, "double lung" shot, lung collapse is the primary phsyiological factor resulting in death. These shots are usually mid body and they go down before they get to bleed a lot.

What we all need to do is kill the animals fast. That sounds like I am being a typewritter hammer head. I get it.
LAND THE PLANE YOU FAIRY!!!
What we are seeing in RF testing on big feral hogs, with some crazy layers plus crazy hair and mud, the performance of very high integrity blades, iron will is one, the Magnus Ser Razor and Buzzcut have done fantastic and then the much more durable monolithic heads, VPA and single bevels, sharpened and honed to "shave your face sharp" retain their edge AFTER PENTRATION of the impact side thoracic wall. Huge reason for short "animal locations".

We are also seeing the animals reaction to impact significantly reduced with cut on contact heads, this helps if the layers plug the hole. They just don't go very far. It's like it doesn't hurt as much or pop or something. Silly animals haven't explained it to me.
So, shoot them in the vital V, straight up the leg, lower 1/3 with an adult arrow and super sharp high integrity heads walk 40 yards to pick them up.
It's way easier. If you read the comments on the IW, you'll see these things blended in.

Late!

DavePwns

WKR
Physiology front and center.
Here's the deal. In no way can you control, nor figure out, nor assess the blood trail quality on any shot.
Ever, never, and you never will. So OCD and control freaks, hang on man!!!!

Your critters are literally made of layers, skin, fat, meat on top of ribs, then ribs, the intracostal space between the ribs is actually two layers working in opposite directions so the animals and humans can Inhale and Exhale. Literally a set of bellows. There's some of the little layers of internal "silver skin" inside the ribs..you know, you rip it off when you BBQ (on pigs anyway)
Oh man, then....bones rarely break out of the way, they get cut and pop back into place, covered by layers, etc.
Interally, if you hit a major artery or cut the top of the aorta off, center punch the heart, etc. the blood pressure is maximum. It can get crazy, but not always because the layers might plug it up.
However, with a bilateral pneumothorax, "double lung" shot, lung collapse is the primary phsyiological factor resulting in death. These shots are usually mid body and they go down before they get to bleed a lot.

What we all need to do is kill the animals fast. That sounds like I am being a typewritter hammer head. I get it.
LAND THE PLANE YOU FAIRY!!!
What we are seeing in RF testing on big feral hogs, with some crazy layers plus crazy hair and mud, the performance of very high integrity blades, iron will is one, the Magnus Ser Razor and Buzzcut have done fantastic and then the much more durable monolithic heads, VPA and single bevels, sharpened and honed to "shave your face sharp" retain their edge AFTER PENTRATION of the impact side thoracic wall. Huge reason for short "animal locations".

We are also seeing the animals reaction to impact significantly reduced with cut on contact heads, this helps if the layers plug the hole. They just don't go very far. It's like it doesn't hurt as much or pop or something. Silly animals haven't explained it to me.
So, shoot them in the vital V, straight up the leg, lower 1/3 with an adult arrow and super sharp high integrity heads walk 40 yards to pick them up.
It's way easier. If you read the comments on the IW, you'll see these things blended in.

Late!
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing

Zac

WKR
I agree that the blood trail a head leaves is irrelevant. I will say this about the Iron Will. I was running a mechanical due to exhaustive tuning that fixed blades required in the past. My S100s hit out to 60 on the larger sizes Matrix target spots with no tuning required. I am blown away by the flight of this, and kicking myself for not getting them sooner.

Attachments

• 20200930_130301.jpg
    20200930_130301.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200930_130247.jpg
    20200930_130247.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 79

Wrench

WKR
I am the odd man out. I parked one in a bull's humerus where it stopped. The arrow stopping wasn't the fault of the head, but the archer.

The tolerance on these are great. They arrive very sharp, spin true and touch up with a strop quick.

My only gripe is that I have one that is compelled to rust hard and fast. I'd probably pass on them if I was going somewhere I knew was going to be wet.

ORHunter

WKR
I had to hold tight to the shoulder for a shot a couple weeks ago. 100 gr day six which is basically the IW solid. 512gr arrow, 28.5",70lbs. Sounded like I hit a tree when it pushed through part of the shoulder. Bull went 20 yards and fell over. Luckily it was a 10-11 yard shot but it was the quickest I've ever seen a bull die.
8977451999369495bece20d5c1528626.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I had to hold tight to the shoulder for a shot a couple weeks ago. 100 gr day six which is basically the IW solid. 512gr arrow, 28.5",70lbs. Sounded like I hit a tree when it pushed through part of the shoulder. Bull went 20 yards and fell over. Luckily it was a 10-11 yard shot but it was the quickest I've ever seen a bull die.
8977451999369495bece20d5c1528626.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Day 6 also makes a great head. I went with IW mostly because I like Bill and he is an active part of this community.

COOPDUCK

FNG
I have been shooting “commercially” made broad heads from major manufacturers for years, slick tricks, nap thunderheads, g5 montecs etc. all these years I’ve never found one I felt was scary sharp. I talked with a guy at the range I shoot at this year shooting grizzlystik samurais. It was absolute night and day difference in sharpness. He was all geeked out on broad head design and that’s what he chose. Not the broad head in question, but similar in design and cost. I was impressed at first glance.

Zac

WKR
I have been shooting “commercially” made broad heads from major manufacturers for years, slick tricks, nap thunderheads, g5 montecs etc. all these years I’ve never found one I felt was scary sharp. I talked with a guy at the range I shoot at this year shooting grizzlystik samurais. It was absolute night and day difference in sharpness. He was all geeked out on broad head design and that’s what he chose. Not the broad head in question, but similar in design and cost. I was impressed at first glance.
You can find commercial heads that are very sharp. The G5 Striker is extremely sharp. However that is out of the package. A premium broadhead retains that edge while going through what ever medium it comes in contact with.

Deadfall

WKR
Ironwill is a very good head. However. This year I got to see first hand what a grizzly stix head does. I've never seen a head hit that hard. Wouldve thought elk were shot with a rifle. One bull was shot in liver. He walked 30 yards. Died faster then one lung hit. When I cut him open the liver was literally in pieces.
I've been guiding a long long time have seen some really good heads and bad heads. Ironwill is definitely top notch, but I've never seen anything hit like grizzly stix. Its unbelievably impressive

Wrench

WKR
Ironwill is a very good head. However. This year I got to see first hand what a grizzly stix head does. I've never seen a head hit that hard. Wouldve thought elk were shot with a rifle. One bull was shot in liver. He walked 30 yards. Died faster then one lung hit. When I cut him open the liver was literally in pieces.
I've been guiding a long long time have seen some really good heads and bad heads. Ironwill is definitely top notch, but I've never seen anything hit like grizzly stix. Its unbelievably impressive
Was it the XXL?

Deadfall

WKR
Was it the XXL?
That I'm not sure now. I'll get on website and find the ones the were using.

They give me a pack. I put one on a arrow and with 2 little twist of knock was shooting right with field point.

I'll get back to you in just a couple minutes

Clean pass through.... 560g arrow was just enough 😂 seriously though, love the IWs. Had a clean pass through last year on a bull bison at 40 yards. Crazy sharp.
View attachment 222072

I did the same.
IMG_20200911_074558690.jpg
IMG_20200909_164721632.jpg

They are accurate enough to take head shots. Just make sure of what's beyond. Not fun using a pine branch to dig your arrow out of the dirt when it's buried past the fletching.