Iron Will K1 Knife

KHNC

WKR
I ordered my K1 about a month ago. Got a chance to use it on my Antelope in Wyoming last week. Very light at just over an ounce and very sharp. Unfortunately, it does not hold an edge very long. It was totally dull by the time i had skinned my buck and boned out the meat while it was hanging. Had to switch to my havalon on the cape out as it was just to dull to finish. I had forgotten my carbide sharpener on this hunt. Once i got home, i was able to try the sharpener. In no time, i had the razor edge back on the blade. Its a great knife, just know that it will need to be sharpened on a regular basis. I will keep the carbide with me on all future hunts. I love the light weight and am using it for a neck knife on a lanyard. Barely notice and its always handy.

colersu22

WKR
Did you touch it up with the little carbide sharpener Iron Will sells or a different one? I haven’t had a chance to use mine yet but hopefully soon.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I got the one from Iron will. It works good.

I used this knife last year! Worked awesome! Love how light it is. Mine held an edge really well! Looking forward to using it again.

I like the top blade for cutting the hide. Saves on the main blade

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
How do you like the top blade?
I used the top blade for hide cut as well. It was still sharp when i was done. As easy as it was to sharpen, i guess its not a big issue about not holding an edge. One of the easiest to re-sharpen ive used.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
KHNC, I really appreciate the feedback. This is our first knife and we are still learning. I think edge retention must vary a lot with each person and the way they skin and debone, possibly due to the aggressiveness when contacting bone. I used one on my antelope last week with no issues. I did not cape it, which could dull a knife quite a bit more, but I did skin, quarter, debone, and remove the head with it and it was plenty sharp when I was done. I just now could shave hair with both the belly and the top edge and I haven't touched it up yet. I made all the hide cuts with the top edge only, which helps a lot to keep the belly sharp. It would be great if others could give their feedback as to whether they can finish an animal with no issue. I do agree that the half ounce sharpener is a good option for touching up as needed though.

My hunting partner brought one on our Montana elk trip. Its a great size, very light, and comes with a handy sheath. We weren't successful so I cant speak to edge retention but I am sure it is as good if not better than an s30v or similar metal. However, make sure you coat it with something or dry it off very well. We had a couple of rainy days and his knife and both our sets of Iron Will broadheads (same A2 steel) have some rusty looking discoloration. It is just cosmetic but just something to take into account when determining what knife to spend your money on.

1000yrds

FNG
So I am not a cheap skate by any means, and I love unique knives and cool stuff... But when i saw the price I was very surprised. I will pass unless the price comes down. I can buy some very nice hand made knives around the same price point, in fact, I just did. I love the look, but I feel it should be around the 85 -90 dollar range. It is not "custom" but it is nice, not fancy, and not hand made. Am I alone on my assessment? if so, please show me the error in my reasoning... I mean no disrespect, I am just wondering what will drive someone to pay the asking price. Is it the weight and simplicity?

amp713

WKR
Used mine on an elk a few days ago, I do feel like I was losing that razor sharpness but I was showing a first time hunter how to break his elk down so we could pack it out. We had 2 havalon, a buck and my k1 all going at different times so it was hard to really keep track of everything. I'm a bit worried about touching up solely because i struggle getting that razor edge back on anything...