Iron Will Outfitters Single Bevel Broadhead Review ***Updated 2/24/21***

Brendan

WKR
@Tony Trietch - So what's your take - on non bone hits, is there a significant difference in tissue damage as compared to a double bevel? If you were hunting whitetail at a closer range where a larger profile wouldn't be a disadvantage, how would you think these stack up against an Iron Will wide? Comparable?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
@Tony Trietch - So what's your take - on non bone hits, is there a significant difference in tissue damage as compared to a double bevel? If you were hunting whitetail at a closer range where a larger profile wouldn't be a disadvantage, how would you think these stack up against an Iron Will wide? Comparable?
Every entry and exit hole I saw was rectangular is shape with the SB. Blood was great and nothing ran far. I have had great luck with the V and S series and have zero complaints but I will be using the SB this fall.
As far as short range whitetail, that wide would be awesome.
It's a no lose situation.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
How long til a glue on version for the woody shooters? 160-165 grain might make a great starting point :)

That video was very cool.
Bill is hunting hogs and WT in Texas right now. I spoke with him earlier today and he said he would get on here as soon as he is back to an area with good service to answer all questions.

I’m interested in your opinion on if a SB would be sensitive to vane configurations. Would it be something you’d need to tinker with to fly like a field point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHo

WKR
Every entry and exit hole I saw was rectangular is shape with the SB. Blood was great and nothing ran far. I have had great luck with the V and S series and have zero complaints but I will be using the SB this fall.
As far as short range whitetail, that wide would be awesome.
It's a no lose situation.
If I may follow up on this comment with a more specific question - how do the entry/exit holes of the regular solid series compare to the rectangular holes of the SB? And in your opinion, which one would leave the better blood trail?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I’m interested in your opinion on if a SB would be sensitive to vane configurations. Would it be something you’d need to tinker with to fly like a field point.

I have not seen any flight difference with the SB125 over the S125. It has the same general surface space as the S125.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If I may follow up on this comment with a more specific question - how do the entry/exit holes of the regular solid series compare to the rectangular holes of the SB? And in your opinion, which one would leave the better blood trail?
The S and V series heads have left me great blood trails but the holes were not as big or "opened" you might say. They are more of the typical X entry and often slightly larger exit but still not a rectangles as I saw with the SB125.
I will know with more kills using them but it sure makes sense to me that a bigger hole will produce more blood and that rotating head will cause more trauma.

Reactions: PHo
OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
@Bunchit Are you asking about the bone penetration video? If you were, that is Bill's and he will need to confirm but I think he said he was in the 535gr range with 70#

Laned

WKR

The only thing to take in mind with SB is matching vane orientation with bevel. Right bevel with right offset or helical. Mixing left and right will cause conflicting rotations/drags.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Bill just texted me these pics, he shot another whitetail with the SB125. Another square/rectangular hole and what looks like a broken leg bone.
cb52b19ac0618aba0960960da2a59622.jpg

ec3cecb6577cf4f7e86b507684dc6d8e.jpg

dzlfarmboy

Lil-Rokslider
It seems 90% of bow string manufactures twist their strings clockwise and of course serve their strings clockwise as well which seems to correlate to a natural left spining bare shaft majority of the time. A few manufactures twist counter clockwise and serve the same resulting in a clockwise rotation of a natural bareshaft. That is from my own personal testing and also others. Seems mixing the two results in an arrow that dosen't start to rotate and stabilize til much later out of the bow. A left bevel would be sweet to add to the line up.

It seems 90% of bow string manufactures twist their strings clockwise and of course serve their strings clockwise as well which seems to correlate to a natural left spining bare shaft majority of the time. A few manufactures twist counter clockwise and serve the same resulting in a clockwise rotation of a natural bareshaft. That is from my own personal testing and also others. Seems mixing the two results in an arrow that dosen't start to rotate and stabilize til much later out of the bow. A left bevel would be sweet to add to the line up.
I've found the exact same thing with my recurve. I can change arrow rotation based on the "direction" that I twist my string. Counterclockwise string twist = clockwise arrow rotation in flight. Clockwise string twist = counterclockwise arrow rotation in flight.