Iron Will question

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I’m headed to Oregon saturday for the last week of the season. I bought 3 Iron Will heads, and the do fly great and penetrate great, at least in my Reinhart out to 50 yards( longest I can shoot at home).
Here is my hesitation. I have used Exodus for the last several years with good success, albeit not great blood trails. Always found them pretty close to the shot though. Last year I lost a bull I made a very good shot on but did not get a pass through, hence no blood to follow. I want the Iron Will for its durability and penetration, but every time I look at it I wonder about the small wound channel I will get with only 2 blades and the next to meaningless cutters? I am really second guessing using them because I fear too small a cut.
I know shot placement is everything, but elk are elk and we all know how tough they can be. Even seemingly perfect shots don’t work out sometimes.
Should I be concerned about how small the Iron Will cut is?

scp

Lil-Rokslider
No. If you do your part that BH is going to bore a hole that will put any North American game down. What it’s missing in diameter it makes up for in cutting surface, bleeder blades, and ability to penetrate.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Just do some research into them. Kifarucast did a podcast with iron will not too long ago where Bill goes into some details about his heads. Good listen! The bleeder blades may be small but they prevent the wound from closing up so easily. Plus if you get into any bone the structural integrity of the broadhead helps get it through and out the other side. Those heads are sharp and durable! Im sure others will chime in with their experience in iron will but imo you have a great head and you should use it with confidence. I just switched to the solid 125 and have a week long elk trip coming up on Monday. I personally am excited to see what they do but have no doubts. Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Going from exodus to iron will isn’t much of a jump.

Exodus are phenomenal heads. Iron wills are awesome to but you’re not going to gain much. I shoot both and can honestly say I like the exodus better.

ndbuck09

WKR
Please Ironwill, make a bigger diameter head!! In todays world of much more efficient and fast bows, we don't need to live by the confines of 10 years ago and broadhead diameters. Total cut surface isn't the whole story when it comes to marginal shots, a wide cut gets more vessels. The ideal head is 1 5/8" wide with a 1" bleeder in your A2 steel.

Side note, I bought the Ironwill heads and the Day six Evo X heads this year. The Ironwill arrives noticeably sharper. It shaves hair without hardly trying, the day six takes a lot more effort and speed to get it to cut a hair.

Zac

WKR
Blood trails really don't have as much to do with cut diameter as shot placement does. If you spring a leak anywhere close to the major vessels of the heart your going to have awesome blood. More efficient bows are naturally going to shoot smaller cutting diameter heads better. More diameter is simply more planing material. I've wanted to shoot the Silver Flame XXLs forever, but it's a pipe dream unless I pick up a recurve.

OP
S

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up. I ended up shooting exodus again. They just flew better for me. Killed a small 5 pt bull at 62 yards and he dropped in sight. I guess its in your head as much as in design, because I just felt more confident with the exodus. Maybe another year of shooting and tinkering will get me to the IW.

Zac

WKR
The Exodus is a great head I don't see any need for you to change, were you just wanting to try something new?

I put an arrow through a deer in Alsea last weekend and that was not a small hole. The hardest thing was dealing with the rain while trailing the blood.

Edit** I was shooting Iron Will 125

OP
S

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
The Exodus is a great head I don't see any need for you to change, were you just wanting to try something new?
Always looking to improve. That said, Exodus impressed me again. I feel like the IW will give an advantage if you make a less than perfect shot and encounter bone. Exodus actually fly better for me, though.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Check out the pictures in the Iron Will Performance thread. Doesn’t look like the bleeders are worthless.

both fly great
but my go to is iron will 125 , went through my bull like butter this year
35 yard /60lb bow

I will say if you have any uncertainty in the consistency of your groups, put and offset or helical ( matching your bevel) and they will shoot just as good as the exodus. I assume there is a reason they don’t mass produce wide diameter 2 blades.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk