Iron Will Question

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my second archery season so I am still really new to everything. I plan to shoot fixed BH this year. Leaning towards Iron Will or Magnus. My question for those of you that have used Iron Wills, for shots 30 yards and closer will I see a noticeable difference in accuracy between the Solid, Vented, & Wide BHs?

bat-cave

WKR
I have shot whitetails within this range with vented and solid (100's & 125's for both) and cannot see any noticeable difference. I practice with my BH's to 60 yards typically and can't tell any difference. I went to solid's for the sound aspect, but honestly I can't really tell.

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the wides last year. It wasn't until 60 yards that I started to notice any drop. I'll be shooting them again this year for sure. Very impressed.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually in the same boat as you OP (newish to archery and looking at IW vs Magnus). I chose Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razors because they're 60% cheaper than IW and still have a lifetime warranty. IW were initially designed for Elk and big game. Both are gonna kill deer... one just costs a lot more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have shot whitetails within this range with vented and solid (100's & 125's for both) and cannot see any noticeable difference. I practice with my BH's to 60 yards typically and can't tell any difference. I went to solid's for the sound aspect, but honestly I can't really tell.
Just to clarify -you can’t tell a difference in accuracy or in noise?

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, thought I’d chime in here. I’ve shot about 15 - 20 deer (mostly whitetails) and a couple elk with magnus 125 grain stingers. I switched to iron will wide 125s with a collar last year. Long story short I had two ferrules on magnus break. One on an elk (the shot hit the scapula, but I’ve made that shot and gotten pass throughs on many deer) and the other on a big whitetail. Basically opted for ironwills because they are hopefully stouter. Only one whitetail last year with it but broke the shoulder at 45 yards with a full pass through. Broadhead was in good condition after

I have shot many broadheads and this is what I have found- vented are more forgiving than solid. Smaller is more forgiving than wider.

If this is your second season I would go forgiving- as in the Iron Will standard vented 100gr.

I have noticed the solids and the wides at 35+yards start getting touchy for me, the the vented 100s are good to 80yds

(I’m not good at tuning a bow, but can shoot mechanicals into a pie plate at 100yds 😀)

bat-cave

WKR
Just to clarify -you can’t tell a difference in accuracy or in noise?
The Broadheads fly the same for me! I should further clarify that I've actually shot Vented / Solid and am currently primarily shooting the Solid Wide's. They all fly the same to me out to 60 yards. I purposely carry a single mechanical head in my quiver with the sole purpose of a 60+ followup shot (that I have yet to have to take!). I've read/heard from far better shooters than myself that most fixed heads will start to drift more beyond 60 yards, hence my decisions to practice to 60 yard with fixed and then longer shots with a mechanical.

I have shot my IW's at longer ranges, but frankly my consistency drops off beyond 60 yards and don't consider my groups worthy of proof of accuracy one way or the other.

It seems like the vented heads are a bit louder. For me it wasn't night and day louder versus a solid head.

Mdk_archer88

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my second archery season so I am still really new to everything. I plan to shoot fixed BH this year. Leaning towards Iron Will or Magnus. My question for those of you that have used Iron Wills, for shots 30 yards and closer will I see a noticeable difference in accuracy between the Solid, Vented, & Wide BHs?
I'm going iron will this year as well. Excited to see how it goes. Soon!

I've shot both the standard 100 and wide 100 the standards did shoot easier past 60 but the wides work just fine to at least 60 for me they are what's in my quiver again this year

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot both the standard 100 and wide 100 the standards did shoot easier past 60 but the wides work just fine to at least 60 for me they are what's in my quiver again this year

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
How loud do feel like the wides are, like on a scale of 1 to 10?

GNUOY

FNG
You won't be disappointed with the IW stuff. I would say that you will have great consistent accuracy with any choice of their broadheads. The only thing I would recommend is doing the math on how much you want your arrows overall weight to be and make it a point to get technical making sure that each arrow is the exact same in weight. I was considering the wide broadheads but determined that it would probably be less consistent at longer yardage. I did solids in there new synder core system with my arrows weighing about 470 for my elk hunt this year.

The IW vented whistle LOUD. I sent them back and got solids. They zip right through pigs and whitetail @ 20-40 yds. As mentioned above, if your bow and arrow are tuned correctly they shoot just like your field points.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Been super pleased with IW Solids. Have vented too at first. Would choose the solid every time.
2020 Buck in avatar was taken at 62 yards with IW Solid S 125gr.
Had a complete pass thru on a bull elk at 45 yards, angled in thru the crease and hit scapula on other side. Bull went down within eyesight, 60 yards away.
My draw 29.5" with bow poundage last year was at 63-lbs, due to tendinitis at the time.

KSP277

WKR
I own both. Would not be scared to pull either out of a hat in the dark and fling at a deer. Both are great. Get either or both at let em rip.