Iron Will tuning question.

Shane_S4

FNG
I have 6 iron Will broad heads, brand new, that I cannot get to tune right, so I am open to any suggestions. All 6 spin perfectly true, however BH #1 hits exactly where my field points hit, #2 hits 3 inches high (at 20), and #3 hits 5" high and 3" left (at 20). Every other Broadhead I have, slick trick vipers, Rage, and SEVR all hit same spot as my field tips. I have not tried BH's #4-6 yet. Pro shop is no help, but they did say everything on the bow is good.

Thanks for any help.

Shane

gelton

WKR
It's more likely the arrows than it is the broadheads.

Even if you shoot the same arrows with field points and they behave differently than they do with the IW.

Lately, people have been nock tuning each arrow as a bare shaft before fletching, and they often all behave a bit differently before you find the sweet spot.

I didn't have the time or the patience to do that this year so while shooting with broadheads I ranked each arrow from top to bottom so that only my 6 best make it into the quiver and the one that never misses gets the first shot at an animal.

Would be hard to believe that it is the broadheads.

As said, it's the arrow, bow, or you more than likely.

I'm going to guess they are solid head's, they aren't as forgiving.

You can try swapping the heads to different arrows to confirm it's not the heads. I suspect you will find it's the arrows that are shooting to the spot with a fixed head, not the individual broadheads causing the off impact.

WCB

WKR
My advice....shoot one of the other heads. If bow is tuned well and they are just that "unforgiving" then ditch them. I personally have found 0 need to nock tune. I've shot a dozen or so different fixed and mechanicals and shoot my BHs out to 80 yards.

I have the IW’s and they fly great. Make sure your arrows are right, your bow is tuned, and your grip is good.

My advice....shoot one of the other heads. If bow is tuned well and they are just that "unforgiving" then ditch them. I personally have found 0 need to nock tune. I've shot a dozen or so different fixed and mechanicals and shoot my BHs out to 80 yards.

Because throwing a mechanical on is a great solution to a tuning problem.

Reactions: Zac

Wellsdw

WKR
I’d lean towards less than forgiving mechanics then maybe an arrow issue. I’ve excepted that I have mechanics issues. Last yeAr I tested 6 different broadheads out to 60 yards. 2 I couldn’t get to shoot. I handed one of the (trash) broadheads to a buddy who proceeded to
Drill a target with his similar set up @ 70. Shoot what you shoot well, fix the mechanics issue in the off season.
(fwiw the iron wills shot fine for me.)

nphunter

WKR
If you are shooting over 280fps, fixed heads can get finicky, especially if you do not have consistent form. Fletchings also make a difference, I shoot very low-profile vanes which make shooting even small fixed heads temperamental to form issues, I did get my IW S100's to fly decent but they will never fly as good and be as forgiving as a mechanical head or field point.

Zac

WKR
What arrow are you shooting, and vane configuration are you shooting? You might be borderline on spine as well.

He didnt say it was.

Two mechanical heads, one tiny vented fixed head, it's a band aid.

The guy was telling him to just shoot a different head, ones that he had already shot. I don't care what head the op decides to use, but if he can't get an iron will to fly right, something is wrong. He is going to be behind the 8 ball from the start, even if I am planning on using mech's, I'll shoot fixed heads to make sure everything is right.

Two mechanical heads, one tiny vented fixed head, it's a band aid.

The guy was telling him to just shoot a different head, ones that he had already shot. I don't care what head the op decides to use, but if he can't get an iron will to fly right, something is wrong. He is going to be behind the 8 ball from the start, even if I am planning on using mech's, I'll shoot fixed heads to make sure everything is right.
Yup.. I think a lot of bad mechanical head penetration results is from poor arrow flight that is not known because point of impact when practicing is relatively good. If you had poor arrow flight plus a broadhead that takes 100+ lbs of force to open it will destroy the penetration potential.

WMag338

WKR
I'd have to agree with these statements above. I shoot 100g IW solids. They fly great once the bow is tuned. I've found swapping arrows or nock tuning an arrow will usually fix the issue. If i have an arrow that flies great with field points and finnicky with broadheads, I toss it. Wasteful i know, but i don't want it in the mix. Archery can be frustrating enough. Also, I always practice with a field point and broadhead to make sure my bow is always in tune. Ive found if my IW gets a severe bend in it from a bad shot hitting the ground or rock or something, sometimes that can cause a flying issue.

Margotron

FNG
As said, it's the arrow, bow, or you more than likely.

I'm going to guess they are solid head's, they aren't as forgiving.

You can try swapping the heads to different arrows to confirm it's not the heads. I suspect you will find it's the arrows that are shooting to the spot with a fixed head, not the individual broadheads causing the off impact.

This. Arrows <> Broadhead flight is dark magic. Swap around…but first nock tune and check again.

Edit: while I agree with the folk saying you shouldn’t reach for a bandaid, aka different broadhead, I’m not so sure. One of his IWs is consistently perfect if I read that right. Sounds like his tune is not off.

Nock tune as others said. Get bullet holes from all hunting arrows and check back. I did this just yesterday and it was disturbing the tears I was getting from a tuned bow. Amazingly, they all became bullets by the end without touching anything on the bow.

Vandy321

WKR
Had 3 fletch on my IW 125s last year...bow paper tuned great...but in the end had to site the bow in with broadheads only before the hunt.

Trial and error this summer with a slightly stiffer arrow and 4 fletched, my BHs are shooting exactly with my FPs.

I'd guess it's the arrows, but I know nothing about tuning other than what those smarter than me have told me on this forum.

Seeknelk

WKR
I really think your tune is right on the edge of the window of tune. The shafts could probably be stiffened some by trimming in combination with nock tuning. Tuning is an art and a worthwhile skill to build . I shoot cutthroats but the iron wills are built very straight.
Nock tuning alone may get em in there...did you just try turning nocks and shooting em?. Also, slo mo video over your shoulder, especially with lighter nocks, is awesome for reading flight.

Zac

WKR
This. Arrows <> Broadhead flight is dark magic. Swap around…but first nock tune and check again.

Edit: while I agree with the folk saying you shouldn’t reach for a bandaid, aka different broadhead, I’m not so sure. One of his IWs is consistently perfect if I read that right. Sounds like his tune is not off.

Nock tune as others said. Get bullet holes from all hunting arrows and check back. I did this just yesterday and it was disturbing the tears I was getting from a tuned bow. Amazingly, they all became bullets by the end without touching anything on the bow.
What shaft?