Iron will VS day six

Torian13

FNG
I shoot the 200grn non-vented IW. Shot a big 8 on Friday. Double lung busted the offside shoulder apart upon exit with a complete pass through. Shot was at 15 yards, 47lb Black Widow PSA with a 540gn arrow.

I own IW's in the S150 and they have done well for me this season thus far (3 Whitetails). If they don't spin perfectly for you the main blade just needs to be adjusted slightly. I went with them over the Day Six Evo's mainly because of the design and because IW's are literally one of the only designs that you can disassemble the main blade and bleeder and fit them in a pro sharpening vise like my Wicked Edge system. Broadheads are expensive and the way I see it, you can either buy replacement blades every season or sharpen your own and maybe spend a little more upfront...DSC07235-2.jpg

Torian13

FNG
I own IW's in the S150 and they have done well for me this season thus far (3 Whitetails). If they don't spin perfectly for you the main blade just needs to be adjusted slightly. I went with them over the Day Six Evo's mainly because of the design and because IW's are literally one of the only designs that you can disassemble the main blade and bleeder and fit them in a pro sharpening vise like my Wicked Edge system. Broadheads are expensive and the way I see it, you can either buy replacement blades every season or sharpen your own and maybe spend a little more upfront...View attachment 131548
That's a great deer and even better photo. They don't grow like that where I am hunting lol

TheViking

WKR
bump - anymore reviews on the EVO-X?

I have a very high momentum setup, thinking about picking some of these up.

Sort of interesting though Aron on a recent podcast with IW lead engineer, was ragging on s30v steel and how it shatters on impact and not good for broadheads........ but he helped design day six heads that use s30v

Edit: I just realized I responded to a really old post somebody bumped.

That's not really what he said. They did talk about s30v being prone to shattering on impact relative to the A2 tool steel used in Iron Will products. That's a huge difference. They also mentioned the fact that s30v holds up better against corrosion, which helps in long hunts in wet weather.

The conclusion I come to after hearing the owners of each company, Aron, and others who do a lot of real testing is that the differences between the two are so incremental that we're picking fly shit out of chili.

Both good looking heads.....

......but twice the price of VPA's that are cnc'd carbon steel tanks....no thanks.

_______
I have the day six heads, but with stuff like VPA, Cutthroats, Tuffheads, especially shooting trad distances, I probably won't buy more unless a rich uncle suddenly leaves me a bunch of money.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
I have both Iron Wills and Evo-X and both are excellent. I have killed Deer & Elk with both and I couldn't tell a difference in the damage delivered by the two heads - very lethal, sharp and durable.

I have had zero issues with either head spinning true out of the package.

For whatever reason, I struggled to get my Iron Wills to tune as easily as the Evo-X last season. I made lots of small changes between seasons and new strings and the Iron Wills gave me fits for reasons I don't have a handle on ... most likely shooter error! :)

I added the Evo-X in part as the head was just a touch larger, but Iron Will has since addressed this with their new Wide head. Both are easy enough to sharpen that even I can do it ... and I am generally inept at sharpening just about anything. I have had no issues with my Evo-X heads, but given I also shoot DaySix arrows, I can assure you their customer service is outstanding.

My first deer with an Iron Will resulted in a chunk missing from the tip (I spined him) and Iron Will offered me a new head for free.

Can't go wrong with either one - IMHO!

Beendare

WKR
..........and because IW's are literally one of the only designs that you can disassemble the main blade and bleeder and fit them in a pro sharpening vise like my Wicked Edge system. .....

Magnus and Buzzcuts are the same....you can either resharpen them on the arrow [easy with Chock sticks or the Spyderco Sharpsmaker] or you gan remove the blades and sharpen on a jig. These are good steel and I've never had one dull on an animal- 3 for $27, guaranteed for life. The 2 blade VPA sharpens well on chock sticks or with a flat stone....never have to take those off the arrow.

I do a lot of hunting and shooting in the woods and its crazy how many of these heads I lose by them burrowing in soft ground after going through an animal or losing them shooting at grouse, etc.

I lost 2 on my last Javalina hunt...crazy how those arrows disappear. I want a good steel head....but don't want to lose $200 in arrows on a days hunt.

_____

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been back and forth about which ones to try. Probably just going to do both, the XLs from DaySix and the wide from IW

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pack of 200gr IW wide this past winter. I’ve been an old snuffer shooter since I started hunting with Trad back in 2000.
I can say I was very impressed with the way the head held its edge. I blew thru a hog and I could still shave my arm after pulling it out the dirt and a palmetto. I’m going to shoot them again this year to see if I think they are worth the extra bucks. I’ve killed several animals with Trad heads and never had one still shaving sharp after going thru an animal or after pulling it out the ground.

dkime

WKR
I own IW's in the S150 and they have done well for me this season thus far (3 Whitetails). If they don't spin perfectly for you the main blade just needs to be adjusted slightly. I went with them over the Day Six Evo's mainly because of the design and because IW's are literally one of the only designs that you can disassemble the main blade and bleeder and fit them in a pro sharpening vise like my Wicked Edge system. Broadheads are expensive and the way I see it, you can either buy replacement blades every season or sharpen your own and maybe spend a little more upfront...

It's funny you say that because I sharpen both my D6 heads and my Solid BH's in a wicked edge vise. A few years ago Solid did a promo video showing that they were hand sharpened in a wicked edge at the factory.

Idaboy

WKR
Just got 3 of the Evo X 150 grain and they spin and fly perfect. A buddy is shooting the IW's and his didnt spin perfect when he got them but still shot with fields at 60 yards. He took them apart and reassembled. They then spun perfect and fly awesome. First and only head I have ever seen that didnt spin perfect but flew great and hit with field points at 20 much less 60 yards. When I say fly and hit with field points, I am talking 2" group at 60.

Both exceptionally well built heads.
Doesn't the spin have as much to do with square arrow and square insert?