Iron Will vs Silver Flame?

I was finally able to do some head to head testing of these two amazing Broadheads.

Check out the short vid of the test. Hope it’s helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Cool test! Regarding penetration the iron will didn’t make it to the bleeders and the size of the cut was very similar into the 2nd layer. I don’t know how much advantage I’d give to iron will. Seeing both of those stick into a cinderblock was IMPRESSIVE!!! 80 yard fixed blades grouping 2” isn’t too bad either!

Which kills better, a small head with bleeders, or a large 2 blade? My gut says a big blade has a better chance of nicking an artery or putting down a gut shot animal, but maybe that’s because I shoot 125gr xl kinetics! Haha.

Thanks for doing the test! It reinforces my confidence in the German kinetic! I’d shoot the IW in a heartbeat, but I still would rather see a bigger version.

Zac

WKR
I was surprised how durable the aluminum ferrule was. I always thought that was a major weak point. A lot sturdier than the Solid Legend for sure.

Stalker69

WKR
I have killed a fair amount of animals with both, I highly prefer Marcus’s ( real) kenitics, by a fairly large margin. I shoot animals not cinder blocks.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Cool test! Regarding penetration the iron will didn’t make it to the bleeders and the size of the cut was very similar into the 2nd layer. I don’t know how much advantage I’d give to iron will. Seeing both of those stick into a cinderblock was IMPRESSIVE!!! 80 yard fixed blades grouping 2” isn’t too bad either!

Which kills better, a small head with bleeders, or a large 2 blade? My gut says a big blade has a better chance of nicking an artery or putting down a gut shot animal, but maybe that’s because I shoot 125gr xl kinetics! Haha.

Thanks for doing the test! It reinforces my confidence in the German kinetic! I’d shoot the IW in a heartbeat, but I still would rather see a bigger version.

Good observations. I felt similarly. I gave the "cut" equal for that reason. Personally, I prefer a larger cut to more tissue being cut, but each has their advantage. When Bill finishes his larger cut Iron Will, it will fit all the needs.

Re the penetration advantage, with the IW cutting more tissue and still penetrating all the way through that last board, it was the clear winner. The size of the hole was only on the entrance of the last board. There was no exit hole from the SF. If that were the hide of an animal, there would be two holes for bloodletting vs one.

OP
Bowhuntr64
I was surprised how durable the aluminum ferrule was. I always thought that was a major weak point. A lot sturdier than the Solid Legend for sure.

I thought the same. When I shot the Legend into a cinder block, it exploded.

MattB

WKR
Good observations. I felt similarly. I gave the "cut" equal for that reason. Personally, I prefer a larger cut to more tissue being cut, but each has their advantage.

I agree. I have consistently seen more damage from 2" 2 blades than 1 1/8" 4 blades.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll be curious to see how the day 6 performs. At some point durability is “good enough” when talking about high end Broadheads.

wysongdog

WKR
Just returning from Africa. Smoked a warthog at 23 yards. Iw 125 solid Easton fmj with inserts total arrow weight 591. Thru the one shoulder and into the other thru the heart. Pig ran 60 yds. Dead on his feet. Shot a eland at 21 yds hit him too far back. Arrow didn’t get thru the off hide. Came back in the morning and found him Very sick. Shot him in his bed compete pass thru then again when he stood up thru the meety part of the shoulder all but 4” of arrow went thru. Died in 20 yards. I’m way impressed with the iw heads.

Attachments

• A4907524-025D-43E3-B2FE-E124B23A3ED6.jpeg
    A4907524-025D-43E3-B2FE-E124B23A3ED6.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 4E0D81BA-AF85-4FA3-A757-6201DC5F787B.jpeg
    4E0D81BA-AF85-4FA3-A757-6201DC5F787B.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 66
OP
Bowhuntr64
I agree. I have consistently seen more damage from 2" 2 blades than 1 1/8" 4 blades.

Yep. On average, I’ve noticed that a wider cut tends to stretch even wider once an animal moves around, as the tissue stretches. But a smaller diameter cut tends to close up more readily and get plugged by tissue more easily.

ndbuck09

WKR
I'm curious what the exact differences are between the grizzly stick version of the silverflame and the german kinetics? I have a 125xl that I've been shooting to test flight, which is very solid with my setup. I'm trying to make the final call between which head I'm going to buy a pack of and I've been stuck on the decision for a week now; just figure that if the 125xl flies good for me, the smaller ironwill will as well.

Just curious about the differences in the silverflames from the seemingly 2 manufacturers?

I'm curious what the exact differences are between the grizzly stick version of the silverflame and the german kinetics? I have a 125xl that I've been shooting to test flight, which is very solid with my setup. I'm trying to make the final call between which head I'm going to buy a pack of and I've been stuck on the decision for a week now; just figure that if the 125xl flies good for me, the smaller ironwill will as well.

Just curious about the differences in the silverflames from the seemingly 2 manufacturers?

I’ve seen some of the Alaska bowhunting versions completely in pieces. If I were buying silver flames it would be from Germany

Jbehredt

WKR

The overall finish is better on the German ones. Sharper and rough tooling edges smoothed out. Tougher tip on the German ones as pictured.
e6028846b97ce410184b12511d55b688.jpg
The screws are also different. Torx vs Allen as I recall. I actually put a German one into the back of a Chinese one in my block target. Small nick in the Chinese one and a rolled leading edge on the German. They grouped better than I expected :)

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Not 100% sure but I think the German is 440B and the ABS is 440C steel. You might at first assume the 440C would be superior, but I wonder if it is more brittle and prone to breaking on hard hits compared to the German one. Based on the chemistry of the two steels, at equal heat treatment the 440B should be slightly tougher but slightly less wear resistant than 440C