Iron Will vs Solid Broadheads?

philcox

WKR
Looking at one of these two premium broadheads. Would like to get thoughts on differences from those who shot either one of them. Thanks

Zac

WKR
Here's a video featuring both. The Solid has the same steel that the Day6 EVO employs. However I think it is less durable due to the vents and skinny blades. The video will show you this. If I wanted to go with a stainless head I would look at the Day6 over the Solid. If you want a little more impact resistance but are okay with the blades rusting Iron Will is hard to beat.

I have gotten away from vented heads, I just don't like the noise they all seem to create, tho I haven't actually tried the Solid Broadheads.

So between the two options you list, I'd go with an s series iron Will.

I'll also add that I think it's great that Bill is active here and seems responsive to what consumers want. He has his own thoughts on stuff, but also knows that a lot of things are about giving the consumer what they want. He tries to do that while maintaining what he thinks to be the most important aspects. My view on it anyways.

CB4

WKR
I have gotten away from vented heads, I just don't like the noise they all seem to create, tho I haven't actually tried the Solid Broadheads.

So between the two options you list, I'd go with an s series iron Will.

I'll also add that I think it's great that Bill is active here and seems responsive to what consumers want. He has his own thoughts on stuff, but also knows that a lot of things are about giving the consumer what they want. He tries to do that while maintaining what he thinks to be the most important aspects. My view on it anyways.
I would agree to this to a point. I used to shoot G5 montecs and they are LOUD. So I went to Kudu and they are silent. In the last year have shot VPA solid and RMS cutthroat both 3 blade and they are silent too. Recently I bought Grim Reaper micro hades to try and for being a vented blade they are surprisingly quiet. After the G5s I said I would never shoot a vented blade again but these Grim Reapers have me changing my mind. I think the overall design of them has a lot to do with it. The Solid's look like they would be loud to me and I think the Day Six would be a better option.

Reactions: Zac
I would avoid Solid. It’s a very weak design. The end of the ferrule has 2 slots to hold the blades making 4 very small posts. Those posts bent and the entire main blade and bleeder pivoted when I shot a whitetail doe. Solid warranties it but I promptly sold them all. Just not worth spending that much money to either warranty or throw them away.
I also agree on the above about vented blade heads.
ive purchased and used Iron Will pre solid version or I would have gotten those. For my setup other heads flew better but build and material quality are as good as it gets. If you are going to spend money on premium heads I think the decision to go with iron will isn’t even a question. The steel and treat are designed around a Broadheads needs.
S35V steel is a knife blade and designed for different purposes.

I would agree to this to a point. I used to shoot G5 montecs and they are LOUD. So I went to Kudu and they are silent. In the last year have shot VPA solid and RMS cutthroat both 3 blade and they are silent too. Recently I bought Grim Reaper micro hades to try and for being a vented blade they are surprisingly quiet. After the G5s I said I would never shoot a vented blade again but these Grim Reapers have me changing my mind. I think the overall design of them has a lot to do with it. The Solid's look like they would be loud to me and I think the Day Six would be a better option.

I'm not saying you can't find vented that are quiet, most of the designs of the coc heads that are vented are louder.

The wack'em is a vented head that is pretty quiet, but I'm not about to put it in the same class as the others we are discussing, even tho I find it to be a good broadhead overall.

CB4

WKR
I'm not saying you can't find vented that are quiet, most of the designs of the coc heads that are vented are louder.

The wack'em is a vented head that is pretty quiet, but I'm not about to put it in the same class as the others we are discussing, even tho I find it to be a good broadhead overall.
Absolutely. Like most things you do get what you pay for.

daddywagz

FNG
Hey- why did you move on from the Kudu's? I just got a set.