Iron Will Wide 100 Review, By Les Welch

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Noob question; I have 3 of the regular 125 vented heads. Would I be cool grabbing 3 of the wide ones and shoot one of those first on anything up to moose out to 50 yards? Then have the regular size ones if I need a follow up shot at further distances that might fly closer to my field points(sight tape)? I just got the regulars in the mail so I haven't shot them yet to see how far I can go with them but I'm reading they fly with the field points a bit farther than the wides.

As Castle Rocker said, I think that's a great plan. I'll be carrying three wide and three standard myself with similar plans. I was actually shooting the wides very well at 100 yards this morning with very little wind and a well tuned bow, but I think that could vary with tune so test for yourself.

Reactions: KBC

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I have never seen them on sale. I bought a six pack with the case 3 years ago and havent looked back. In years past i would buy multiple packs of cheaper heads each year. These heads are well worth the cost for me. I have no plans to ever change heads. I have shot 2 blacktails and 2 black bears with the same head and it is very sharp still. Love Iron Will broadheads!

Winter10

FNG
I just received my first set of IW broad heads. v100's. I was super excited, so obviously i screwed one in and sent it. The arrow flew just fine, however i did notice the arrow sounded like a friggin' freight train flying out of my bow!! Loud as hell. Has anyone else noticed this? Anything you can do to mitigate the noise? I shoot a 503 grain arrow total weight, FOC is around 14, arrow is traveling at 250 fps.

I just received my first set of IW broad heads. v100's. I was super excited, so obviously i screwed one in and sent it. The arrow flew just fine, however i did notice the arrow sounded like a friggin' freight train flying out of my bow!! Loud as hell. Has anyone else noticed this? Anything you can do to mitigate the noise? I shoot a 503 grain arrow total weight, FOC is around 14, arrow is traveling at 250 fps.

The vented can be noisy, I shoot the solid. They are definitely quieter.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to a podcast by the designer and he stated that some high tech sound testing was done down range and while they seem loud to the Hunter, they are not if you are on the receiving end. Seemed like some pretty scientific testing.

BFL

FNG
I like the idea of getting 3 of each but would it be crazy to get 3 wides and 3 S125s? Do those of you getting 3 each go with both vented? TIA

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our original V series can have a hiss or "shish" sound, depending on your speed and setup. Sound testing showed this increased noise from vents wasn't distinguishable at the target until the arrow was within a couple yards. Our wide series is quieter. Fluid dynamic modeling was used to minimize turbulence and sound with the vent design. Our S-Series (solid) are very quiet. I carried three s125 and three wide125 last year and likely will this year also.

Our original V series can have a hiss or "shish" sound, depending on your speed and setup. Sound testing showed this increased noise from vents wasn't distinguishable at the target until the arrow was within a couple yards. Our wide series is quieter. Fluid dynamic modeling was used to minimize turbulence and sound with the vent design. Our S-Series (solid) are very quiet. I carried three s125 and three wide125 last year and likely will this year also.

Bill, what fletching do you run?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm running AAE Max Hunters at 2.5 degrees offset, 3 fletch this season. I found the Max Hunters, Blazers, and Fusion II all steer very well in a 3 fletch at 2.5 to 3 degrees offset or helical with the Max Hunters and Blazers having the least drag and the Fusion II being a little quieter. Max Stealth and Heat in 4 fletch also do a great job. They add more weight to the back, have a bit more drag (drop), but are significantly quieter. I'd recommend any of these setups with fixed blade broadheads. I'd expect others of similar size to work well also, but these are the ones I've tested personally.

Bill, have you tested using Max Stealth in a 3 fletch (I'm running 2 degree helical). Is it really necessary to run a 4 fletch? This is with IW solids and wides.

Being a tight ass, does anyone know if Iron Will ever runs a sale? I went in the deep end with SEV-R last year and am looking for a COC head this year.
I’ve been watching them for awhile and I haven’t seen a sale on broadheads

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hunt-n-ski, sorry for the delayed response, just got back from Alaska where we shot some big Bou! I have done a little testing with the Max Stealth in 3 fletch with about 2 to 2.5 degrees helical. They flew well for me with our broadheads. Nick at AAE recommended Max Stealth in 4 fletch as their best setup for hunting with fixed blade broadheads, so I spent more time with that setup. I'm currently hunting with the Max Hunter in 3-fletch with 2.5 degrees offset and really like it.

Twitch & Scottyboy, a majority of our selling price is just the cost of our premium materials and manufacturing processes. We don't ever have sales on our broadheads since we feel we have them priced as low as we can and have a viable business.

Good hunting!

You might wait quite a while for IW to run a sale. An alternative head is the Day Six Evo X. Cheaper. Maybe not quite the head that IW is, but quite a good head nonetheless. I have killed four deer with it this year...all pass throughs, including one that was quartering and exited the rear ham, so it went through nearly three feet of deer.

Kevin T

FNG
I’m gonna have to try these...I also had a bad experience with sevr’s and want to get some good flying fixed blades. 2 shots admittedly not ideal hit front shoulder and lost both whitetails.

TheViking

WKR
I’m gonna have to try these...I also had a bad experience with sevr’s and want to get some good flying fixed blades. 2 shots admittedly not ideal hit front shoulder and lost both whitetails.

Not a SEVR fan. I’ve killed one elk (1.5) and 2 deer (2.0) with them. They all died at the end of the day, but very poor performance. Never again.