Iron Will Wide Broadheads

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Guys, just getting caught up from the ATA show and wanted to post about our new Wide Series Broadheads. I spent about a year and a half developing this head since we had so many guys on here asking for it. I had concerns about flight, penetration, noise, and impact strength with a wider head, but through fluid dynamic modeling, flight and impact testing, I'm feeling really good about this broadhead. We had a dozen testers take about 50 animals with the wide heads this fall and we are excited about the results. You can read the review above by Les Welch. I'll post a few photos and videos. Let me know if you have any questions.
wide_on_water2.jpg

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our Wide Series Broadheads are 30% wider than our V & S Series, 1 3/8" wide main blade and 3/4" wide bleeder for 2 1/8" total cut. While all of our compound testers reported good groups to 60 yards, these are ideal for medium sized game like deer and bears at 50 yards and under in my opinion. Here is a video from my brothers Indiana buck this year.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been carrying three s125 and three wide125 in my quiver this year and chose the broadhead depending on the game and expected shot distance. When I sat over wallows with a bear and elk tag I had the wide125 nocked, but I ended up shooting my CO pronghorn, elk, mule deer, and mountain goat with the s125 because shots were between 50 and 70 yards. I did use the wide head for my Wisconsin and Indiana bucks and I think these are ideal for whitetails. This shot was 42 yards across a little ravine and the arrow was buried 12 inches into the dirt. Bills_in_2.jpg

I've been carrying three s125 and three wide125 in my quiver this year and chose the broadhead depending on the game and expected shot distance. When I sat over wallows with a bear and elk tag I had the wide125 nocked, but I ended up shooting my CO pronghorn, elk, mule deer, and mountain goat with the s125 because shots were between 50 and 70 yards. I did use the wide head for my Wisconsin and Indiana bucks and I think these are ideal for whitetails. This shot was 42 yards across a little ravine and the arrow was buried 12 inches into the dirt. View attachment 148621

I am gonna be ordering some of these to try this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any plans for an even wider model???
I don't see a need, especially with a bleeder blade making a cross cut. These already make big holes I can see down into with blood flowing onto the ground. I think you will find that blades this size with excellent edge retention that slice all the way through provide big entrance and exit holes, quick kills and great blood trails.

9092SD

FNG
On shots at 50 or more yards, I have had issues with wider broad heads - has anyone seen this with these flying different that the s100 model?

Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
On shots at 50 or more yards, I have had issues with wider broad heads - has anyone seen this with these flying different that the s100 model?

Several years ago I set up my elk base camp and then pulled out my Rinehart 18-1 and the bow. The first shot I took was from 70 yards with an original 125gr German Kinetic Silverflame XL (1.5" 2-blade). That arrow hit the exact center of that bullseye, I couldn't have placed the arrow any better by hand. As long as they spin true and the bow is tuned for them, I'm sure these IW heads will fly great.

I might have to pick up one of these heads to put in the quiver, but I still really like my big mechanicals.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron Snyder took over 20 animals with the wide heads this fall. Here are a couple of his photos. A wolverine from Alaska and a high country mule deer buck from Colorado. The mule deer shot passed through the near side scapula and then broke the far side leg bone near the knuckle shown here. The broadhead still passed through and was in good shape. This was with a recurve, so quite a bit less momentum than the average compound shooter.
wolverine.jpg
aron_muley_lr.jpg

WJS23

WKR
I definitely plan on pick up a six pack for the stick bow, I have been waiting for these to come out.

ddenney

FNG
I'm really wanting to try them this year. But I keep going back and forth between the s100 and the wide. May even go up to 125s but havent built the arrows yet. Any impact difference at distance from the two? Wind resistance would seem to catch the wide.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Out west here, my shot distance is often 50/70yards
been looking at these
What 125 gr head would you recommend?

done with mechanicals!
Newest greatest Sevr head let me down at 62 yards
Granted my shot mid body due to muley buck flinch, caught back edge scapula and 24” of 29” arrow sticking out
Long tracking and follow up with sliktrick to finish the buck.

I think they recommend them to 50 on the website but they are the same diameter as a magnus black hornet and those shot fine out to 70 for me I have no doubt these will too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm really wanting to try them this year. But I keep going back and forth between the s100 and the wide. May even go up to 125s but havent built the arrows yet. Any impact difference at distance from the two? Wind resistance would seem to catch the wide.

I tried to minimize the drag using fluid dynamic modeling. I'm not seeing a difference in impact point to 80 yards. The wide100 has proven to be very strong on heavy bone impact testing, but the wide125 is even stronger due to less venting.

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Out west here, my shot distance is often 50/70yards
been looking at these
What 125 gr head would you recommend?

done with mechanicals!
Newest greatest Sevr head let me down at 62 yards
Granted my shot mid body due to muley buck flinch, caught back edge scapula and 24” of 29” arrow sticking out
Long tracking and follow up with sliktrick to finish the buck.

The s125 is my go to head for out west hunts where shots can be well over 50 yards. Personally I shoot the wides really well at 50 to 70 yards, but they will be less forgiving than our V & S series with tune or form issues, so we recommend them for shots 50 yards and under to be conservative.