Iron will wide vs solid

going down the rabbit hole of broadheads and everything seems to be pulling me to iron will. Been a mechanical guy for whitetails but with the horror stories on elk want to switch to a quality fixed head. My question is should I shoot the wide for a bigger cut or just the solids. I am shooting a 70lb bow with 30 inch draw and arrow around 550 grains.

Zac

WKR
I'm assuming you are hunting elk? The answer would typically be the solid. Better flight and penetration. You could always have both and choose the wide for somewhat closer shots on thinner skinned game. The blade material looks a little thin on the 100 grain wide, probably wouldn't use that particular offering on elk.

Trial153

WKR
I have both, I like the wides however i do feel the standards are more forgiving especially at longer distances. If i had to pick one, which i am glad i dont, it would the standards

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your setup is similar to mine. If I were choosing one head to hunt with including elk, it would be the s-series. I'll be carrying three s125 and three wide125 this year for elk depending on the situation. From the force measurement testing and hog pass throughs including spine and double shoulder blades, I'm confident the wide will go through elk just fine. I shoot tighter groups at very long range and have total confidence in the S series, so that is my favorite all around. I shot our wide100 repeatedly though elk femurs without damaging blades, so it's plenty strong, but our wide125 is even stronger with less material removed from the blades.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Your setup is similar to mine. If I were choosing one head to hunt with including elk, it would be the s-series. I'll be carrying three s125 and three wide125 this year for elk depending on the situation. From the force measurement testing and hog pass throughs including spine and double shoulder blades, I'm confident the wide will go through elk just fine. I shoot tighter groups at very long range and have total confidence in the S series, so that is my favorite all around. I shot our wide100 repeatedly though elk femurs without damaging blades, so it's plenty strong, but our wide125 is even stronger with less material removed from the blades.

WOW, nice to know Bill.V has same choices in the quiver as my bow for elk season 2020
I’m shooting Vertix @68-lbs, 29.5” draw, complete arrow 510 Gr

Last edited:

bignocks

FNG
I had some 125 solids and was able to buy some wide replacement blades that fit the same head so it was a little cheaper to try out and have both. Just have to make sure your size is compatible with the ferrule

TX_Diver

WKR

How much difference do you see in flight/point of impact between the Solids and Wides?

I guess if your past a certain distance (50?) you probably shoot the solids and within 50 the difference in impact isn't enough to matter?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How much difference do you see in flight/point of impact between the Solids and Wides?

I guess if your past a certain distance (50?) you probably shoot the solids and within 50 the difference in impact isn't enough to matter?

I see no difference at 60 yards and a minimal difference at 100 yards. I actually bought a Hooter Shooter to quantify it better since my off hand groups aren't tight enough to see much of a difference. I'll use the s125 if I think my shot might be over 60 yards because I have a lot more experience and confidence in making a long range shot with that head in varying conditions.

bat-cave

WKR
I've been shooting Iron Wills for a few years now - Love them! I've tried both solid and vented and to be honest I can't tell any difference. I'm sure the solids are quieter, but I for one don't think it's night and day between the two. I'm planning to use the Wide this year as I'm all for a bigger hold whenever possible and the main gotcha to fixed blades is the hole is smaller inherently. Blood trails are not as good with fixed typically (compared to a good hit with a mechanical), so I'm all about bigger holes in the animal! I also keep at least one mechanical in the quiver in the event that I for some reason need to take a longer shot than usual.

I just shot the wides last weekend for the first time and out to 60 yards. I shot them side by side with the standard solid blades and honestly none of us could say that there was an appreciable distance and my setup had them grouping side by side. To the point where I ruined one good hunting arrow as the wide shaved fletching and then carbon all the way down the shaft! Yes, I should have shot at a different spot, but I honestly did't expect to have the two different heads group that well at 60 yards!

Berger024

WKR
I just ordered a new 6 pack of half solids and half wides. Can’t wait to see the blood trail from the wides this year. Good to know they group that well and to aim and different spots on the target!

Berger024

WKR
I have owned the vented 100's when they first came out. Then purchased the solids...Now purchased the wides and took a whitetail with it. The wides leave an amazing blood trail. I will definitely be purchasing more in the future if mine ever become unusable.